Macbook power issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maikman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. maikman macrumors newbie

A few months ago my room mate spilled water on my black macbook (not sure of the specs I got it in summer of 06). Anyway, I decided to mess with it today and try to get it working and it actually booted up...for 10 minutes, then it shut off and will not turn on again.

It went back to doing the same thing it used to, it'll flick a grey screen once when trying to power on, then it will show the loading screen for about 3 seconds then the screen goes completely blank and the front sleep light starts to go on. This only happens if it's plugged in, no battery power even with a new battery.

When I went to the apple store they said it was the inverter, another non apple store said it was the logic board and would cost $1000, but considering it started up and was fully functional for 10 minutes it's not the logic board (I've since replaced it with a newer macbook). I am fully capable of replacing the inverter but wanted to get your guys opinion on it. I've already done the obvious like reset the SMC and PRAM, and pulled out the ram and reinserted it.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. pscraig macrumors member

The inverter just powers the display backlight, so if that were the case I would expect the screen to just go off. Besides, the inverter receives the same power regardless of the power source. The fact that the computer goes to sleep spontaneously leads me to think it's a logic board/power issue. The macbook doesn't have a separate power input board-it's all on the main logic board.

A technique I have used in the past is to remove the logic board, then place it in a hot location for 2-3 hours to drive out all remaining moisture. By hot I mean 150-180 degrees. This would remove any remaining moisture under or inside the components. Also consider that due to exposure to moisture, there might be some corrosion on the internal connections.