Macbook power issues (I think ?!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cpt.Caveman, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Cpt.Caveman macrumors newbie

Right. So: some time ago, around last Christmas, I had about a pint of Dr. Pepper spill on my white Macbook 13". The laptop was plugged in, it powered off instantly. I opened up the bastard that night, tried to dry the soda using a hair dryer and cotton swabs, but it wouldn't boot afterwards - just powered on and stayed in sleep mode. Couple of months later I removed a RAM and it booted into the OS, but powered off after about 5 mins and then rebooted, but same sleep issue.

Took it to Apple and those half-wits couldn't even tell me what was wrong with it, they suggested a logic board + top case + screen replacement from the start.

The thing is, I tried the laptop again a few days ago and it worked flawlessly for about half an hour, eventually powering off again. Tried some movies, music, webcam was working, so was the superdrive. The keyboard, however, did not work at all - neither the buttons, nor the trackpad. Figured it might be disconnected or something, so I plugged in a USB mouse when I noticed the defect. Since then, the Macbook has been doing its sleep routine again, which is killing me !!:mad:

Anyway, I'm thinking it could be a cooler failure ? Maybe combined with a topcase scrambling ? Could that cause the power-offs ? I'm really not that well off to afford buying another Mac, but I'm not going to settle for anything else either. So please, all ideas are very welcome - help out a sad, macless individual.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's going to cost you more to try and fix it than it will to replace it.

3. Cpt.Caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about trying to replace the cooler and the topcase.. :confused:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't solve your problem. It sounds like your logic board is toast.

5. mr0c macrumors regular

mr0c

It sounds like the dr pepper is just getting into a liquid state again then shorting another part of the insides, causing the power off ...

Because you don't know where the issue is, and considering a pint as well, you might as well dunk the whole thing into a water bath to clear it off, although considering the time that has passed you probably need to scrub it as well ... to remove any dr pepper crud.

6. makinao macrumors regular

Did it ever occur to you that the pint of Dr. Pepper you spilled on it might have indeed toasted your logic board to start with? Did it also occur to your that some small components might be shorting out after a few minutes of use as they reach operating temperatures? And did it also occur to you that after many months your board is corroding, resulting in component failures like your dying keyboard?

Finally, did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the people at Apple weren't really nitwits after all?

7. Cpt.Caveman thread starter macrumors newbie

On a scale of 1 to 10, how helpful do you think your post is ? I understand that you have issues, but please, don't bring them to my thread. If you have something useful to say, say it. If you're just gonna state the obvious, just keep your opinion to yourself. :eek:

If I buy a new logic board and top case, will that solve the issue for sure ? I found some stuff on ebay and it's not that costly.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no way to know for sure how extensive the damage is from the spill. You could spend the money to replace only the logic board, only to find other things are damaged. This is definitely one of those "Kids, don't try this at home" situations.