Macbook Power Issues (Shutting off, Powering off when closed)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BeestieHalls, Jul 10, 2009.

1. BeestieHalls macrumors member

Im having some issues with my Macbook (late 2006).

My Screen was flickering and I had a faulty mousepad so I called Apple since I have the protection plan to see if they would fix it. They did fix those two things, unfortunately they didn't fix the other two things that I am still having problems with:

1. My Macbook shuts off about 1 out of every 10 times I close it. I will be on the internet, and i will close it to put it to sleep and I'll hear the start up tone and find it starting back up again, even though I have not asked it to turn off. Like I said, this happens about once every 10 times i close it.

2. My Macbook won't power down. If I go the normal route and hit shut down from the menu, or just hit the power button and then shut down my dock and bar at the top will disappear but the computer just stays blank with my background. It never turns blue and shuts off like it used to (these issues both started happening about 3 months ago). I have to hold down the power button for like 6 seconds to force it to shut off.

I called them back and they recommended i reload my OS (10.4), but I'm worried I might lose my music and pictures and whatnot.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, they replaced my logic board when I had it repaired but it clearly did not resolve the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It won't erase your stuff. When you pop in your install disc, select the option that says "Archive and Install". It will backup all of your personal files and then wipe the OS off and reinstall. :apple::apple: