MacBook Power Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DJLC, May 5, 2011.

1. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

My late 2006 2GHz C2D Macbook has had a host of weird issues lately. Small issues started cropping up right after AppleCare expired, and it has only gotten worse. It started with the palmrest cracking worse that it ever has before (it was replaced 3 times). Then my sleep LED stopped working. Then the LED on my charger stopped working -- and it doesn't seem to be a charger issue, as it has this problem with ANY charger, including the new style ones.

The last few days, it has been randomly rebooting itself. No warning, no way to reliably reproduce the issue. Also, the audio crapped out earlier while watching a Flash video. I had to yoink out my speaker cable and put it back in to get it working. If it makes any difference, I've been using it in clamshell mode a lot lately.

I'm assuming it's probably a bad logic board, but does anyone have any other ideas?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried resetting the SMC or the Pram. As for the cracking I would call up apple again and have them replace it.

3. DJLC thread starter macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I'll try resetting both when I get home and see if it makes any discernable difference. Will Apple still cover the cracking even though AppleCare has been expired for a little over a year?

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

it really depends on your local apple store and the level of customer service they have. Some do out of warranty repairs like plastic damage that isn't normally covered under warranty while others are really strict with not doing any user-damage repairs even if still under warranty

5. DJLC thread starter macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Resetting the SMC seemed to work, but now things have gotten worse. USB devices will randomly stop working - including the internal keyboard and trackpad. Sometimes unplugging external devices and plugging them back in fixes it, and sometimes not. It also had a kernel panic last night - apparently one of the processor cores wouldn't respond to interrupts. Just now, I woke it up to check my email. The external keyboard and mouse weren't working. When I unplugged them and plugged them back in, the whole system froze.

I can still only assume it's a bad logic board. Unless anyone has any better ideas, I'm going to take it to an AASP on Monday to get an estimate.