macbook power issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcarilli, May 20, 2009.

1. mcarilli macrumors newbie

I have a basic-level MacBook (about 5 years old). My problem is pretty simple: when I press the power button, it doesn't turn on. Nothing happens. This is true whether or not the power cord is plugged in, and it doesn't seem to be a battery issue since I tried swapping in a battery from a functional MacBook. And it was working just fine a couple days ago. The problem is almost definitely mechanical; I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, what your best guess is as to the cause, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Are you sure it's a MacBook? The first ones were introduced in May '06 so it can't be more than 3 years old. MacBooks replaced the iBook so is it an iBook? PowerBook?

Anyway, try This Article.

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Sounds like a faulty battery. Did you try resetting the PMS.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If it's that old, it's probably an iBook.

When an iBook would go dead, most often it's a logic board failure. The logic board is kinda like the spinal cord of the computer, without it, it won't work. All your personal data is (probably) safe on the hard drive, but it can't be read because (obviously) the computer won't start up.

You could take it to an Apple Store to get it looked at, but if it's the logic board, you're probably better off buying a new computer -- a repair may cost over $1000. :(

But if it's five years old, it's probably reached its time anyway...

5. mcarilli thread starter macrumors newbie