Macbook Power question

Bullers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Say if I had an american macbook, would I be able to buy a UK macbook power supply and use it?

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The plugs on Apple portable power supplies are interchangeable. All you need is a new plug as the power adaptor itself is universal. Or you can use a standard figure of 8 cable you have lying around the house already as the only way to get the plug is to buy the travel pack from Apple which is pretty expensive for a few plugs!

Bullers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Oh right ok, I think i'll buy the macbook power supply then, I don't think it's available on the store yet. The World Travel Kit is really expenisve for 6 plugs, 5 of which i'm not going to use. I just bought belkin's universal power adapter, so hopefully that will work until I get the proper power supply from apple.

Thanks for your reply.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'm slightly confused! If you buy an American Macbook it will come with a Power Supply that will work ANYWHERE in the world. Why would you buy another one?

If you want a cheap solution to get it to plug in the UK (I assume) then you could use one of these.

Apple cleverly used a standard figure-8 connector on the plugs!

Bullers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
So they power supply that comes with the macbook (US) will plug straight into a socket in the UK? Im confused now...
Or do you mean i can keep that power supply and use some sort of adapter?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Bullers said:
So they power supply that comes with the macbook (US) will plug straight into a socket in the UK? Im confused now...
If you buy the Apple World Travel Adaptor Kit ($39 US), then yes, the MacBook Power Adaptor will work world-wide. You just pull the plug off of the power adaptor (it pops right off), and snap the appropriate plug in its place.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Bullers said:
It is auto voltage and frequency switching. So yes a plug adaptor will work, a new plug from Apple will work, or, in fact the £4 cable I linked to will work as Apple are very clever.

Bullers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2006
robbieduncan said:
It is auto voltage and frequency switching. So yes a plug adaptor will work, a new plug from Apple will work, or, in fact the £4 cable I linked to will work as Apple are very clever.
I think I might go for that cable you stated above. Thanks for all your help.