Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbonney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Bellingham, WA
hey. i got my macbook when they first came out, may 2006. i have used it every day since and i have not had issues with it until now. My power cord has a problem. i have to move the cord around until i find a spot that allows it to connect and charge my macbook. is there anything i can do or do i need a new one? i dont know if the connection is shot now or what. :confused: if i dont figure it out, i wont be able to charge my computer!!

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I would personally buy a new power supply. The power supplies for Macbooks and Macbook Pros have been known to short and spark up, as many people here can tell you. It sounds like your power supply is on it's way there as well, so you're probably best off replacing it.

Edit: Here's an example of what I'm talking about - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/366220/

You might be able to get a free replacement at an apple store.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Have AppleCare? I'd say given the few times one of the power adapters has burst into flames, take it in and make sure they know you're serious about getting a replacement. Even if you don't have AC, give it a try - The earlier magsafe adapters were a bit on the wimpy side as far as cord fraying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.