macbook pr0

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by julieeclarke, Apr 28, 2011.

1. julieeclarke macrumors newbie

Hi
    I need to get access to my modem through my macBook Pro so that I can adjust the settings to allow my new smartpad to be able to access my home wifi.

I am really stuck and dont know what to do please help:confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you don't provide any helpful information, how are we supposed to tell you? What kind of router do you have? Why can your "smartpad" not access an existing WiFi network without messing with any settings other than the WiFi password?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Take a look at your modem's manual, or find out its model number and try to find the manual from the Internet if you have lost the copy provided with your modem.

4. julieeclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sorry I really dont know enough about this subject which is probably why I am struggling with it.

I have a new SmartPad - ASK 741SP that I cant get to access our wifi at home. It keeps scanning and finds it but says its not in range. I had some previous advice that said to check out the router to see if accepts other devices and see if I can fix anything from there.

I have a MacBook Pro and so tried to find the router through there but dont know how to find it.

My router is a BT HomeHub2

5. TreborM macrumors member

Try this...

By default BT hub will use registration to add new wireless clients. I am not sure about it but it is easy to find out anyway.

To see the administrative interface of your router simply type it's IP address into web browser (hint: do not use Safari, due to non-standard IE optimised HTML code used in the interface you won't be able to access some of the hub menus).

If you do not know the IP address (default is 192.168.1.254 methinks) go to 'System Preferences' -> 'Networks' select the network card you are using (AirPort or Ethernet) click on 'Advanced' select 'TCP/IP' tab and see what is listed under 'Router'

Once you get to your's hub web interface please select 'Advanced' (you may need to enter the admin password) and then visit 'Configuration' -> 'Wireless' -> 'Security'.

Take me with a grain of salt - I'm typing this off the top of my head.

Also if you provide more details you are more likely to get more specific help

Best regards,
    Trebor.

6. julieeclarke thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone, I managed to get help from BT because you pointed me in the right direction. thanks for your time

:)