MacBook Prices after a Refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhino89, Dec 21, 2014.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

I decided to hold out for another few months before getting a MacBook so I can see if an Air Retina is released and what sort of price tag and specs it may bring.

But in the meantime, in case one isn't released, what usually happens to the prices on the older models (whether new or refurbished) on the Apple Store or in the retailers that carry them (best buy, adorama, BH)? Do the prices drop like a rock ($300?) or are the discounts much more modest? Anyone have real examples from past refreshes?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nothing happens.

3. Praesto macrumors regular

+1

Prices never change. Even the day before a new release on a year old model.

4. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Not even at the authorized retailers like adorama or BH?

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

The people below didnt fully read your post. Yes the authorized retailers begin to start marking down the previous model. Its more % based than a specific total amount - I would say you see $100-200 right after refresh (within the first couple weeks if not right after refresh).

Haven't seen a major disciunt from Amazon - but yes to B&H, MacMall, Adorama. The discounts may not be as large because around the refresh those retailers have already discounted the Macs.

Apple stops selling the previous model - refurbs do change price. I personally have no idea the time frame.

6. Praesto macrumors regular

I fully read it. I made the assumption that OP was smart enough to first check the various resources that he/she posted. On B&H and other various resellers they are already $300 off for the Holidays. So my response was based on that assumption. Though it could be a faulty assumption.

I guess I should have said, no prices won't get lower than they are now. Prices are always great around the Holidays.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

My bad - poor judgment on my part. What you say is very helpful. I think it safe to say a refresh will bring a slight decrease in holiday sale prices. However, you have to wait a unknown amount of time for a refresh.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When apple delays a refresh, it does not alter the price. Sometimes during the holiday season authorized dealers may discount them a bit steeper (using that word loosely) but generally the savings isn't that much and any discounts are sporadic.

Regardless of the age of the computer, you are still paying a premium price.

9. Praesto macrumors regular

I would not call it poor judgement, I would have said the same thing :D

Just wanted to let him know that I assumed he checked current prices at B&H and BestBuy.