MacBook printing to a networked XP printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hazoomeh, Nov 3, 2008.

1. hazoomeh macrumors member

I've browsed these forums and found others that had similar but slightly different problems than mine so I hope you guys can help me.

I'm trying to connect my leopard macbook to a Canon Pixma MP210 that his hooked up to an XP machine. Sharing is enabled in XP on the printer, and I can successfully add the printer to the mac in system preferences. I've downloaded the proper drivers from Canon's website and selected them for the printer.

The problem is that when I try to execute a print job, the print queue comes up and hangs on status "printing." Also, on the XP machine, the print queue recognizes a job is being requested but the status hangs on "spooling." The document never actually prints. Finally after a couple minutes, the print queue in the mac has an error stating:

"Error Number : 311 Printer is in use or an error has occurred. If an error has occurred, eliminate the cause of the error."

I know that I'm close so any extra help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

3. hazoomeh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I already tried this and reconfigured. Still no luck.

4. LED macrumors member

I'm fairly new to macs, so I'm no authority on this topic, but here goes... I have a Pixma MP600 shared on my XP desktop. From what I understand, the mac drivers on the canon disc are only useful when the printer is physically connected to the mac, so they are of no value in your situation (and mine). I had to choose one of the Gutenprint drivers that came with leopard. There was not an MP600 driver, so I had to choose an MP500, and that works.

Now, you will not get messages relayed back such as ink low or paper out, but it does print ok.

Hope that helps.

5. hazoomeh thread starter macrumors member

I chose the MP180 gutenprint driver and it works like a charm.. Thank you for the help!

6. Badong macrumors newbie

Tried the Guttenprint MP180 driver and reset the print system. Don't get the Error 311 but nothing happens. Que is empty when I check it. When I check the print que on the windows system the job is still there but it says pages: n/a ????