Macbook Pro '08 Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wolitzer, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Wolitzer macrumors newbie

So today I decided to give my aging MBP a facelift. Upgraded to Lion, cleaned out the hard drive, and finally, attempted to clean the keyboard. After popping the "command" key off, a tiny, rubber part was accidentally removed as well. I tried to lift up the first layer of film with tweezers and insert the rubber part underneath but to no avail.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, my keyboard stopped functioning properly soon after. My suspicion is that the tweezer grazed the actual sensory input (what the rubber piece normally "strikes" to register a key being pressed -- I marked it green on the image above), etching the film and forever tricking the machine into thinking this key is always being pressed down: when I click on an app in the dock, I am brought to its containing folder.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or know how to get the keyboard fixed? I don't have the money for a new machine, nor am I covered under AppleCare or warranty since the machine's so old.

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks guys.

2. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

cleaned the keyboard??? why would you do that??

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I did that once while cleaning mine. Its very hard (I think) to get back on. vs PC keys. You can look online and find a how to, that should help you.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can buy a new top case. They're a few hundred dollars IIRC.

5. teksurv macrumors regular

I'm not sure of a way to repair your current keyboard, however I do have the same style of MacBook Pro and I was able to replace just the keyboard itself. It comes as a part of the top case, however it is changeable keeping your current top case. Keyboards can be had online including eBay for $20-50. Much cheaper than replacing the whole top case usually. Refer to iFixit.com for repair instructions with pictures.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

These keyboards are a nightmare. A replacement keyboard would be the best option. I've had three, albeit under warranty.