Macbook Pro '08 or New 13' Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrew8404, Jul 21, 2010.

1. andrew8404 macrumors regular

Okay, so I'm trying to decide which computer I should buy and I thought you guys may be able to help. I can get a 15' Early 2008 Macbook Pro with 2.53GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250HD, and the 512 switchable video card for 950. I would love the big screen but sucky battery and no warranty kinda sucks. On the other hand I could get a new 13' Macbook Pro at Microceneter for 999.99. But with tax thats obviously going to be above 1100. Which is the big draw back for that cause I would like to save cash. Does anyone know how much slower or faster the older pro would be? Thanks for you help!

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I didn't know there was an early 2008 MBP with a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo. Are you sure its not the late 2008 Unibody? Stay away from the MBPs made before August 14 (non unibody MBPs) They have a Nvidia 8600m GT thats prone to failing. Just get the new 13".

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Which is the big draw back for that cause I would like to save cash. Does anyone know how much slower or faster the older pro would be?

Tricky decision since there are several variables involved. Performance will be similar. Only you can judge screen size - but if you own an external monitor that helps. Too bad you don't live in NJ where I live since our Microcenter is in a war zone so the state lets them charge half tax to get customers - I bought my 13" MBP from them two weeks ago for $35 tax, $1,034 total.

When considering value remember that a new computer will last longer and if you use it a lot away from home you can go all day with the 8-10 hour battery. Also, older MBP may need a new battery sooner vs later so you must factor that in.

Personally, I would incline towards the new MBP at microcenter because you are getting it at a great price, $200 below list, so you will save money in the long run when the time comes to sell and you have a one year warranty which in itself is peace of mind relative to a 2 year old used computer.

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Go for the 13". The graphics cards on those older mbp are prone to fail, would suck especially if it's out of warranty

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

One other thing to considered, the quality of the display. Since 2009 the MBP have a 60% wider color gamut and backlit LED - much better

6. andrew8404 thread starter macrumors regular

All good points. Yeah, the new pro would be best I just hate that tax!

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

The sales tax in your state is ridiculous and why people shop online at places like Amazon. The thing is that the MC deal is so good that even with the tax it trumps all other new MBP prices - even eBay.

alternatively you could sit tight and wait for another bargain on a used MBP to turn up - they always do

8. cptrios macrumors newbie

Well, your description seems to indicate that that 2008 MBP is actually the unibody model. I can say that I myself have a late-2008 unibody (albeit with the 2.8ghz upgrade) and am still perfectly happy with it. Though I did drop it and bust the SuperDrive!

I think what you should ask is:
    1. Do you do a lot of gaming? If you do, go with the 2008 model (unless, like everyone else has said, it IS the early-2008 model with the 8600).
    2. Do you need to use the thing on battery power a lot? If you do, go with the new one.
    3. Obvious question; do you need the bigger screen?

9. andrew8404 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input guys. I went to Microcenter and got the new 13' Macbook Pro for 999! Still can't beat that price and I'm happy that I went with the new model instead of the old. And yes the 15' had the 8600 card. I also ended up going to Ikea and getting a new desk to go along with the computer. So expensive day but well worth it!