Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Hey guys,

Just got a new MBP and I've noticed that the hard drive clicks every 10-15 mins which is really really annoying. The bigger problem is that I had a hdd crash on me once and I think this MBP's hard drive is heading the same way.

I just wanted to check that I'm not going mad and that it's the head that's clicking. I managed to reproduce the clicking on startup - every time around the 15s mark, it always clicks. Is it just me or do all new MBPs click that way on startup? Thanks.

PS. You may have to turn your volume up a little bit to hear it properly

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/645995/Hdd1.m4a (click around 14-15s in)
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/645995/Hdd2.m4a (click around 15s in)

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Do you have the 5400 rpm drive or the 7200 rpm drive?

I've had both and both make click/sputter sounds. The 7200 drive beeped.

Both froze. The 5400 rpm drive froze much more and for one minute at a time. The 7200 rpm drive froze sporadically and only froze for a couple of seconds. The 7200 rpm drive crashed on me three times, forcing a restart.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
It's the 5400rpm drive. I'm now avoiding working on the MBP as it's very irritating (+ don't want to lose data). How often does yours click?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It's the 5400rpm drive. I'm now avoiding working on the MBP as it's very irritating (+ don't want to lose data). How often does yours click?

Mine clicks sporadically. My main problem was the freezing with the 5400 rpm drive, but I am not sure if that was a defect or not. I haven't had the freezing problem for quite a few days, and was thinking that it may have just been the system indexing all the files or doing something in the background I wasn't aware of.

I do have this weird sound when I pick up the macbook after closing the lid and putting it to sleep. It sounds like a spring-loaded click.

milend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I found a way of reproducing the click - turning the Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS) on makes a click, turn it off, makes a click again (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934). Then I asked my friend to do the same on his MBP (same model) and his one didn't make the click. I'm getting a replacement.

Can anyone confirm whether their drive clicks every time they flip the mode of the SMS?

Kingofthezyx

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
I found a way of reproducing the click - turning the Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS) on makes a click, turn it off, makes a click again (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934). Then I asked my friend to do the same on his MBP (same model) and his one didn't make the click. I'm getting a replacement.

Can anyone confirm whether their drive clicks every time they flip the mode of the SMS?

I just turned mine on and off a few times, it hasn't been clicking (although it does occasionally when I move the computer, I thought it was just a coincidence)

EDIT: I just realized, if I move my computer quickly I can replicate the click, which I think verifies that it is in fact the SMS.

iSteven

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
tennessee
Mine clicks sporadically. My main problem was the freezing with the 5400 rpm drive, but I am not sure if that was a defect or not. I haven't had the freezing problem for quite a few days, and was thinking that it may have just been the system indexing all the files or doing something in the background I wasn't aware of.

I do have this weird sound when I pick up the macbook after closing the lid and putting it to sleep. It sounds like a spring-loaded click.

I have the same click when i close the lid and pick it up.
Why is this?! :confused:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I have the same click when i close the lid and pick it up.
Why is this?! :confused:

If you inspect the bottom panel around the hinge area, there is not much supporting it from the inside. You can press down on the casing and it will deform.

The chassis is very weak in the middle, and I think the deformed chassis causes the clicking. Two internal components are rubbing/clicking when the chassis isn't nominal.

The chassis was one of the main reasons why I chose the MBP. I remember when I checked them out in the store, I made it a point to pick them up with one hand on one side to see how strong it was; in the store, they seemed very strong and durable. However, the one I got (both of them) seem weaker. The chassis is strong on the periphery, but it is very weak in the middle. The exhaust vent is also a poor design imo, although it does looke cool (like an F22 raptor intake).

monsterlinchin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
Hi Milend

I hear the same sound as you recorded, My mbp's HD is the 15" 5400rpm 320GB.

The clicking sound and sputter sound drive me crazy, I went to apple store but they cant duplicate the sound which I heard.
I tried to record it with my camera but I cant ,so I am wondering how could you record the clicking sound? Can you teach me?

The clicking sound in my computer happens frequentely and very annoy me.
How about yours?

Did you solve this problem? How to do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.