Macbook Pro 1.1 10.4.11 to 10.6. Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kwota, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Kwota macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if someone with more knowledge than myself can offer some help as I couldn't find any related info using the search function.

My girl just picked up the new i7 macbook pro. She gave me her old macbook pro 1.1 (2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) with the tiger 10.4.11 OS.

I'd like to update the OS, and tried installing snow leopard using the disks provided with her new i7 macbook. I simply got a message saying that it wouldn't work. It loads up that first screen to select a language and then it provides me with the error message (the machine's drive has a lot of free space on it). I've gotten so much conflicting info that I'm hoping someone can help:

Is it possible to put snow leopard onto this old 32-bit machine? If so, do I need the ~$180 software package or will the $30 upgrade package work?

Cheers,
    Jon

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The $29 upgrade disc will work just fine. I also suggest upgrading its ram to the max of 2Gb. Snow Leopard isn't overly happy with only 1Gb.

3. Kwota thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

Do you know if there's a difference between the $30 snow leopard upgrade cds and the snow leopard cds that came with the new i7 macbook pro ? or, in other words, do you have any thoughts on why my attempt at the snow leopard update didn't work with the i7 cds?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The i7 cd are set to work only on that machine model. They will not work on other models without massive modding (don't ask). Mac OS X reinstallation discs have been this way since the year 2000. Where as the retail discs can work on any Mac that meets the requirements.

5. Kwota thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome.

Thanks for the help.

6. LinkMx macrumors member

While this will work, you're supposed to buy the Mac Box Set to get Snow Leopard if you're upgrading from Tiger. The $29 Snow Leopard is an upgrade and you're only supposed to get this if you already have Leopard.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

True, its against the EULA, yet there is nothing but one's ethics preventing you from just buying the $29 upgrade disc.