Macbook Pro 1.83 for $500 good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peapody, Jun 26, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Sigh, still looking for a MBP. Just wondering if $500 is a good deal for a macbook pro with a broken c key. I am not sure if it is fixable, but just wondering if this is a deal I should jump on. Sorry for the multiple posts guys. You have been so helpful.

80gb
    1gb
    superdrive
    okay battery
    some scratches

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

it seems like a good deal. A replacement keyboard is about a hundred bucks or so, but $600 is about what you could expect to pay for a 1st gen MacBook. MBPs, even the first gen intels, are still going for around 750-900. Your call.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

hmm.... $500 for a MBP just needing a new keyboard... I'd be sceptical about its authenticity.

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Yeah,

However, I am still getting some clarification on the broken c key. He says he can't type the c at all and has to paste c's in. What are the chances that it would be a mobo problem?

5. keltorsori macrumors regular

Sounds like a great deal. Actually sounds a little too good, but every now and then such a thing actually works out. Try iFixit for the replacement keyboard

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Who says you need a whole new keyboard. If its worth the trouble, you can use a key remapper to map the C key to something you wouldn't use much (the ~ key, etc). Yeah, it would mess up touch typing but as long as nothing else is wrong with the computer, then you would have an awesome deal at $500.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Teeny. I think it's a mechanical problem with the key itself or with how the key contacts the tracers underneath. Might be as simple as a dorito or some such mucking it up.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sounds way too good to be true. Grab it if it isn't.