Macbook Pro 1.83ghz Fan Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ath7u, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ath7u macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

My friend's Macbook Pro (2006, 1.83ghz, upgraded to 2gb ram) has been making ridiculously loud fan noises. We found it was coming from the right fan, sounds like something is scraping - almost a tractor engine-type sound.

I have a newer Macbook Pro and I installed fan control 1.2 on both of our macs to compare. It turns out on hers, the LEFT fan is running at 0rpm and the RIGHT fan (the noisy one) is running at fairly average speeds (compared to mine, which is quiet - between 1500 and 3500rpm). The temperature seems to be on par with mine (about 115-140 degrees F).

We did a PMU reset, which didn't change anything.

What do you think? Do I need to replace BOTH fans? I have researched it, and it seems like I could replace them if I had to. If I should replace them, do you think it's too risky? Any ideas on what Apple might charge without Applecare?

Thanks!

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

apple will charge around $120 to replace both outside of warranty.

3. moonrakerd macrumors newbie

well you can fix it for some time at least, if you are not afraid to get inside it, the fan can be dissasembled, plastic fan removed and then some wd40 on an axis and your done for some 2 months at least, i thinking about moding some cheaper acer fan, but didnt realy got my hands on it yet