macbook pro 10.5.3 update fail?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikaelaustin, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mikaelaustin macrumors newbie

I recently tried to update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 software update (to fix problems with time capsule, will tell about that at the end of this post) and i got a fail message. When it tries to validate the package it says it cannot validate and to contact the manufacturer for assistance. I rang apple and after being on the phone for almost 4 hours all they had for me was to reformat the drive and start again.

i was really hoping i would not have to do that as the only device i have to back everything up is the time capsule so it would mean that i would loose everything.

Now the problem with time capsule is that it just stopped connecting to the HD (though i still can access the internet via the built in airport), this was actually the original problem i rang apple about. i can't even connect to the HD with a ethernet cable. i've looked around the net and there doesn't seem to be any info around about this problem so am i the only one?

does anyone have any solutions as i got nothing from apple and am really frustrated, just converted over to apple when i bought this computer about a month ago and so far i'm not impressed with both the equipment or the service i got when i called apple.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3. mikaelaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that download from the apple site as well as the auto update both have the same problem, it's quite frustrating actually. i was really just hoping that the apple tech support could help me.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

Let me just say this about Mac OS X, it isn't the best and it isn't the worst. You will find that OS X has bugs or problems occasionally and you are experiencing one of them right now. I've had Linux workstations/servers corrupt via some manner of voodoo that I have never been able to figure out on a simple update of just some time zone data. That doesn't stop me from using the OS because the problems aren't as bad as the problems with the alternatives.

Try this: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1053comboupdate.html to update OS X. It might work where the others failed.

5. mikaelaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

tried that version and it also has a invalid checksum error message. i really don't want to have to do a complete reinstall, anyone else have any ideas?

6. nPolar macrumors newbie

THE GOOD NEWS: I had your EXACT problem with the TC. THE BAD NEWS: The only solution was to replace it. Boooooo.

I too am new to mac (well, new since my last 1993 Powerbook 540c back in 1994...which I still have by the way) and I converted back bigtime with a MBP, ACD, TC, Bluetooth MightyMouse and Keyboard. I have had problems with EVERYTHING and spent lots of time on the phone with Apple so i'm not impressed with the supposed "stable" system Apple boasts about, but I have found their support to be better than Dell... not saying much.

My TC stopped connecting while airport remained functional. Apple first said that the backup sparsebundle may have been corrupted, but even after erasing it, reformatting the TC and starting over, it still wouldn't connect. The only option was to replace the TC, which they sent it overnight and while I wasn't happy, it wasn't the end of the world.

I don't know if your system is still functional even with the error message, but if so. Have Apple replace your TC, then obtain a backup, and then reformat the drive as they have suggested.

I know its not the solution you wanted, but my TC has worked stellar ever since. Good Luck.

...this should really go in its own thread. I'm a newb, but i'll try to see if I can link it over. Got it:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5511415#post5511415

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

You might want to try to download the combo update with a different browser and check the MD5/SHA1 checksum yourself. Large downloads can sometimes be corrupted and that might be what you're seeing here.

8. mikaelaustin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that info even if it's not the news i want to hear - how did you go about retrieving the data off the HD - i have about 600 gig of work files & music that i really don't want to loose. i am going to call apple back tonight and ask to speak to a tier 2 tech support as i was really unhappy with the solutions presented to me from the tier 1 tech support.

is there a way to connect to the TC without connecting through ethernet cause i treid that and it failed? can you connect through the USB cable that is on the back?

9. nPolar macrumors newbie

to the new thread...

Let's take this over to the new thread, since this is less about the OS and more about the TC:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5511415#post5511415