macbook pro 10.6 blue screen on start up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdavidson922, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jdavidson922, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

jdavidson922 macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

I have a macbook pro. 15" Osx 10.6. I have had it just over 2 years now.
    :(
    I am at a loss of what to do at this point with this laptop.
    Perhaps this question has been asked I am sure, but I will ask it is again.
    My problem is, at start up I get a blue-ish white screen. I have tried the cmd s to either run fcsk or applejack. I have loaded the OS 10.6 disks that came with this pro and holding down the "c" key the apple comes up and the spiral but searching it seems.. and it stays there, nothing else happens.
    :confused:
    I left it on with the disk in it half the night and it stayed at that point. When I turn it on, the blue-ish white screen stays there.. and a folder in the middle of the screen appears with a center question mark. I have also tried diskwarrior to no avail. I am frustrated at this point. Why is this doing this is there a "fix". Any real answers? beside to bring it in and paying huge amount of money on a 2 year old machine, that my husband paid almost 5k for originally? Very frustrated to say the least. :eek:

Thanks all in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

Better?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Much! You're more likely to attract people with information on your topic now. Did you check out the links? There is a lot of helpful troubleshooting information there.

5. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

Well, its seems none of the trouble shooting problems fits me. I have nothing connected to my pro. At this point. I have no issues with it powering down.

I wish I was able to get a black scren but have no been able to.

Heck I even zapped the p ram.
    I read on further and none of these topics I have seemed to have done most of them. still the prevailing folded in the center with a question mark.

6. AkuskaUK, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012

AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

As for your problem, have you tried doing a "Permissions Repair"? You can do so by:

1, Open Disk Utility, located at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

2, Select your startup disk on the left of the Disk Utility window

3, Select First Aid from the tabs

4, Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

Let us know if that resolves the problem, also, remember to do this every time you install or uninstall something.

7. simsaladimbamba

Do you have access to any other Mac with Firewire, which you could use for Target Disk Mode?

----------

Not necessary. I have owned Macs since 2004 and installed and uninstalled many applications, not once was it necessary to repair permissions because of that.

8. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

I have people that would highly disagree but that is your opinion. Everyones Mac is different, this could be the answer, it also could not be. I personally have done it and it has repaired little "quirks" that have gone wrong. The "target disk" is a good idea.

9. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

If it were possible to get pass the blue-ish grey-ish white screen then I would be jumping for joy to be able to do all of what you just mentioned. But, yes I have tried that also. Does anyone think that this maybe the outcome of a malware? I have been hearing a lot about people who download mircosoft word for windows and it had a malware issue. Just saying...And btw way. no one can be rude to me at this point I am beyond frustration. Tanks for saying.

----------

my desktop is not comparable with my macbook pro. I have heard also it isn't a good idea.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

11. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

You can also do it from the Snow Leopard install disk, have you also tried resetting the P-Ram? Check this out: P-Ram Reset

12. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

Yes to the disk. As I mention in my orignal post. and yes to the p-ram too

13. simsaladimbamba

Yep. See post #5.

Anyway, since it hasn't been answered yet:

Do you have access to any other Mac with Firewire, which you could use for Target Disk Mode?

14. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

The one I am using at this moment. Old G5. Tiger 10.4.11. Actually, scared to do more. and this one will go out too.

15. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Please boot in verbose mode (holding down Command+V) and post the output.

16. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

Have you tried booting in safe mode? Press and hold SHIFT the moment you hear the chime and then keep holding.

----------

I was literally about to post that!, Beat me to it!

17. simsaladimbamba

Do you have 6-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable handy? Do you think, you can handle Target Disk Mode?

[​IMG]

18. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

Yes but none of the cables.

----------

Yes done too

----------

Don't give up on me guys. Going to bed will pick this up at some point tomorrow. Have to get up really early in the morning and meet with the nurses on my staff. Night!:eek:

----------

Now that is one thing I haven't tried. Not sure if that will even work since I already hit most of the keys! Will let you know tomorrow.

Thanks

19. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

Have a good night,

Are you able to get to an Apple store close to you? If not, i think target disk mode is your only option. I could be wrong though.

20. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

Target disk mode?

Nothing anyone has said yet as of now has worked.

I will be getting some cables to try to see if I can connect to my G5 and see how that works.

21. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

explain to me this process.

Thanks!

22. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

Hi, please read this document direct from Apple: Using Target Disk Mode

Hopefully you will then be able to sort it out! IF you need any more suggestions please ask!

23. jdavidson922 thread starter macrumors newbie

jdavidson922

Thank you. I need to get the firewire cables, may have some hanging around. I will decently let you know. I seemly tried everything else I hope this works. Even Disk warrior didn't work. If not will have take it in for repairs. My husband told me to buy a pc. I laughed and said not on your life. Been with macs till 1988. Ain't gonna happen.
    Anyhow thank you again!