Macbook pro '11 2.2 i7 Screen tearing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crescents, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Crescents macrumors newbie

Crescents

I've been having screen tearing problems and freezing of my new Macbook pro. I just got it thursday. And it's been giving me some problems.

After waking it from sleep, the top toolbar will have tearing and it will look all pixelated.

Also it will freeze and I would have to wait for it to do the actions I clicked or motioned to do. It does this when I finish playing a game, or wake it from sleeping. Only way to fix it is holding down power button, or if i am able to, restart from apple menu.

It has ati radeon hd 6750 1gb vram. I'm wondering if I burned it out?

Any ideas on why this is happening? I'm going to the Genius bar tomorrow to transfer from my old macbook to the new one. Wondering if it's even worth it.

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Have you tried a clean install? Might not be what you want to do, but it could fix the problem.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I would ask for a replacement, you're screen shouldn't be doing anything like that 5 months after purchase, let alone 5 days.

4. ShoG macrumors member

What does it look like can you get a screen shot? I was just about to post a thread on the HD3000 graphics intermittent lag that Ive been noticing more and more, then I saw this thread. Are you getting this tearing on only the AMD card or does it happen on integrated too?

The problem I have with the graphics is when I have a window open on the desktop (any window/pane) and move it around slowly, the window moves smoothly then choppy then tightens back up to a 1:1 ratio. But it happens indefinitely and at all times with all types of windows, and once I noticed this it gets very annoying while watching youtube or any type of video for that matter as when the window chugs if it were moving at the time of playing a video, the playback gets a little choppy (run-on sentence). If I change to the AMD there are absolutely no problems, everything is silky. I guess Im having the inverse problem that you may be having.

To see what Im talking about if you also have this chugging issue, take a largish Safari window (blank or to any site) and move it slowly around the desktop while on integrated gfx. For me when I do this the window moves smooth then chugs then smooth and loops continuously. The lagging only lasts for about 1 or 2 seconds then goes smooth for the same amount then lags again for 1-2 seconds etc.

Can some one with the HD3000 confirm/deny. Sorry I couldn't help you out OP and for the semi hijack.

5. Crescents thread starter macrumors newbie

Crescents

Thanks for the replies.

This is a Apple Refurbished Macbook Pro 15inch from Feb 2011. 2.2 qc i7 4gb ram 750gb hd intel hd graphics 3000 and the ati radeon 6750.

Don't you think if i just got this I wouldn't need to do a new install? Of course I don't want to do it, but if I have to I have to. But when I got my Macbook from 2007 the black 13inch. I had no problems with it whatsoever. And did gaming and woke it from sleep with no tearing.

Just to make it known. I turned off Graphics Switching in Energy Saver from System preferences. So It is forced to use high graphics only, so I'm guessing the dedicated graphics card it would be using. And it seemed to fix it, but then it happened again. Mainly shows tearing in the toolbar, but sometimes in a whole window for my game if I put it in windowed mode, or switching from application to application. I got this specced out as much as I can so it can handle this stuff, but it seems like my mb 07 could handle it more straightforward.

I attached a screenshot

Attached Files:

6. ShoG macrumors member

That looks pretty gnarly, first thing that came to mind is: there is a setting in the program Onyx that changes the finder bar opaque or transparent. Some how your notebook is having trouble displaying or interpreting the standard setting after waking. Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge with Macs to provide any solid help (maybe I shouldn't be using Onyx).

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That wouldn't help. If by some chance an installation of the OS became so corrupt that it somehow caused something like this, that would be a clear indication of underlying hardware problems anyway. The point being this isn't normal, and you're giving very generic advice:p. See even if your theory worked, it would only be a temporary fix, but I'm pretty sure it's a gpu problem so that wouldn't help at all. They're most likely going to swap the logic board.

How long ago did you actually purchase it? If you just got it. I'd ask for a replacement. You can stress test the replacement if you like. The clean install thing is trash advice, because this suggests a gpu problem. If you got it just days ago, I would get a new one. If you're months in, then it's a warranty issue, but this is a classic sign of hardware problems. There's no way around it.

8. Crescents thread starter macrumors newbie

Crescents

I purchased it monday Mar 19th. Because it was refurbished it was shipped to me so I got it March 22nd. I'm going to the genius bar tomorrow anyhow, and I'll have them take a look at it. It's refurbished so I don't know if they'd replace it in-store. But I will definitely make sure to address this issue before transferring my old mac files to my new one which is probably defective.

Thanks everyone.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I noted that you were going there tomorrow. They'll most likely try to reproduce the effect. I've seen graphics bugs once or twice on old machines when they're loading up, but sustained like that is a real indication of a problem.

10. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

As an experienced Mac technician, that looks like a GPU issue to me. Whatever it is, your machine is under warranty, and Apple will take care of it. Good luck

11. Crescents thread starter macrumors newbie

Crescents

So I went to the Genius Bar the other day. I could not reproduce the issue in front of her. And left it overnight. They could not reproduce the issue. They said they ran various tests, and reset the RAM on the computer. Wiped it and and put a fresh install of Lion. Then did a personal Set up on it.

I had to reinstall World of Warcraft on it. I played wednesday night for a few hours. Exited out of it, tried using the computer for a good 10 min. No freezing and it seemed the problem was fixed.

I woke up and used the computer thursday morning and it froze within the first minute. But no video tearing like before. But it totally froze this time. Couldn't move the mouse, nothing was responding. So it's like it froze even harder after it being seen by a Genius. I had to hold the power button to get it to shut off since it was about a minute it was frozen.

I called tech support and they said try making a new user and not play WoW and see what happens. And he said that I need to get my logic board replaced.

I did that thursday. I created a new user. I did some browsing, watched some Hulu. But did not play any game or did anything requiring great amount of power, or heating of the MBP. Then this morning I wake my computer from sleep in the newly created user like I would on my own user account. Didn't freeze or anything.

My frustration is that. Going from a basic 13'' to a decked out MBP with 2 graphics cards and i7 processor, that it would handle this stuff with gaming and all. It NEVER freezes when I play the game, but it seems after exiting or when I exit and put it to sleep then waking it up a several hours later, it freezes when the computer is not hot at all, or even running anything. After having it not even a week, i already need a part replaced.

I'm thinking of returning it and getting the new iPad instead and just waiting on the new models of the mbp to come out because I think this is a fault in the '11 models. I've read a lot of complaints about not just people who play games, but people who do a lot of media work on the i5 and i7 processors. I found an article that produces the actual effect every time

If someone can answer this, is it the quad core thats causing the computer to freeze up if it gets too warm?

I'm just so upset about this, and I just feel like Macs aren't like they use to be...

12. thegrapeguy macrumors newbie

I can't speak technically but return that puppy and don't be convinced not to. Had a refurb awhile back and it was a nightmare. My problems started shortly after purchase but by the time I got to hauling that tower to the Apple Store my return period was over. I had to endure reinstalls, hardware tests, several trips to the store where my symptoms could not be reproduced. Finally I was lucky one day and it froze in the store. They finally changed the Logic board.

Bottom line for me is I would have loved to have the opportunity to return it. Would have returned it 1st day. If it's got voodoo in it get one without... Don't polish a turd!

13. Crescents thread starter macrumors newbie

Crescents

so do you think i should just return it and buy a new one? I don't think it matters which one I get. I think none of them can handle gaming honestly without freezing... I don't think its the heat but I really don't know what it is.

14. stevey69 macrumors regular

;
    incorrect. i just purchased a new mbp 17" 2011 from macmall and seems to handle anything that i throw at it just fine. two things you need to do to make your comp snappier since lion uses much more ram and is more power hungry.
    1) get a SSD. can't tell you how big of a diff it makes with i7 quad.
    2) install more ram. preferably 16gb if it can handle it

secondly, i think you just were sold a lemon. i for one never ever buy a refurb. but if you have the option to buy again, i highly suggest you buy a brand new one and see how it works out for you . I've never really had any issues like yours in ANY of my macs over the years. good luck.

15. kyriostrife macrumors member

I figured I would bump this because I am having sort of the same issue. I don't get just the pixelation, my 2011 macbook pro screen also goes blank and then comes back in which case there is some pixelation as well as the screen splitting (right side of the screen is on the left and the left side of the screen is on the right). I will try to get a picture the next time it happens. It usually happens during video editing for me.

I've installed the gfxcardstatus and it didn't help. Problem keeps on occuring so now I just don't even use it.

Here's the kicker, i just had the logic board replaced last week just before the warranty was up and this is all started after the warranty was done. This literally started happening the night the warranty was up so I don't even know if apple will take care of it even though it seems to be the logic board again.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Why not just show them the picture you posted in this thread.

Its either your GPU or Memory controller being faulty. Either way i'd return it at this point. There is an issue and trying to prove it to an Apple Genius is tedious. Just return and pick something else.

If you just had your Logic Board replaced you have 90 days warranty on it even if your original warranty has expired. Take it in.