MacBook Pro '12 vs... MacBook White '09

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vladster, Oct 25, 2012.

1. vladster macrumors member

I have both, MBP and MBW. I upgraded to MBP primarily because I need to use virtualization, so more CPU power was very desirable.

But yesterday I got back to my forgotten MBW in order to transfer iDVD that was missing on Mountain Lion.

And I have to tell you - once I got MBW out of the drawer in my hands, I realized what a nice piece of design it was... I really enjoyed lighter efforts on the keyboard, less noisy and easier to use track-pad... pretty fast and not overloaded by tons of background processes (not used by me notifications, ..., ... ) Snow Leopard...

I really wish I had my MBP's internals in that white body and under Snow Leopard's control.

P.S. I believe Mac products are not going to be as refined as before.... Instead of fixing bugs and making software components stable, simple and efficient, Apple developers are pursuing iOS / MAC OS X integration goals, which is never ending story. They fix MAC OS X, but then another team changes iOS, and then the opposite happens. Same on the hardware level - too many device flavors for software to be efficient and with small footprint.

2. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I'm still sentimentally attached to my first-gen 2006 Black Macbook. New battery and it works great with Snow Leopard.

I've been meaning to sell it.... but for some reason it just wants to stick around.

3. JmChile macrumors newbie

snow leopard is the best OSX period.

I hate Lion and Mountain Lion.. :(

4. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Hm, I still love my black Macbook, but there is no way in a million years I would trade the trackpad, are you serious!? At least my black Macbook has the non-glass trackpad which although nicely textured at the beginning quickly wore to a horrible non-textured shiny centre that doesn't feel nice to work on. And how is a trackpad "noisy", unless you have tap to click turned off I suppose?

I think they were beautifully made laptops for their time, but compared to my 2010MBP or 2012rMBP they hold nothing of value except emotionally (the black macbook was my first Mac)...

5. vladster thread starter macrumors member

Might be weird, but yes - the one at MBW requires less effort and doesn't click this loud.

Now, MBP has one feature that is very interesting - natural scroll... But I have
    to switch it back to "unnatural" because other computers I use do not have this feature and I feel lost when switch between them. But then swiping between spaces and mission control feels very "unnatural"... I wish they had different setting between content scroll and panel switching.

No doubt hardware becomes outdated.... So that's what I wanted - new internals but body part's quality that is on par with old systems.

6. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I agree with the OP. I do like Mountain Lion better than Lion. Still Snow Leopard was a better OS in my opinion. I now have to stick with ML but hopefully they'll do a OSX version like they did with Snow Leopard. Full of refinements and OS stabilization.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Wow, I feel exactly the opposite.

I just upgraded to a 2011 cMBP-15 and ML from my old old C2D White Macbook last week, and I couldn't be happier. Told the old Macbook not to let the door hit its backside on the way out!

8. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I have a 2012 MBP and an older BlackBook... while I like the newer MBP more, I don't discount the BlackBook at all. It is still a fantastic computer.

9. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Hm, the plastic edge between the upper and lower sections on my black macbook started chipping away about 3 years ago, the body is nowhere near as well built as the unibody enclosure, similar to the trackpad which wears away as you use it. IMO.