Macbook Pro 128gb or 256gb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vainflesh, Apr 5, 2015.

1. vainflesh macrumors newbie

Hello, guys! I know there are a lot of topics like this one but none of the authors are going to use their macbook for the same purposes as me.
    I am currently using a Windows 7 laptop and I've used only 30gb of its space (I've had it for 4 years).
    I am going to use my macbook for
    ○ browsing the internet;
    ○ watching movies and tv series online;
    ○ listening to music online;
    ○ I may download pictures (500+), songs (50-100 maximum), a few movies and a season or two of a TV show;
    ○ I am not into games by the way and I don't edit any videos
    But I think 128gb will be okay because I don't have that much money to spend on the 256gb if I don't really need this much space.
    Thanks to all of you in advance!

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

The 128gb either has half read or write (can't remember) compared to 256. A consideration if you're a performance/benchmark stickler. Also how much are you willing to gamble with it for the price difference? I had 128 on my 2011 Air for 3.5 years and made it work but there are certainly times 256 would have made things less management oriented, so I got 256 this time.

Not regretting it.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

128 is enough, if not, get other storage option from best buy or newegg, they have great deals

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

From how you describe your use a 128gb drive should be fine. If you end up needing to store more later you can always get a external USB 3.0 drive or even flash drive (you just lose some mobility or have to manage what you store where).

5. bgro macrumors 6502a

Best Buy has the '14 Macbook Pro Retina 256GB on sale today only for $1199..less than the '15 128GB version. i would opt for this one if you're worreid about the space.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

I agree for your purposes and your current use with your Windows laptop you should be fine with 128GB. I don't think from what I have read the difference in read/write speeds between the 128GB and 256GB options is that significant. At the end of the day if you need more space as already mentioned you could go with an external 3.0 USB drive, USB flash drive or SD card option like the Jetdrive.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Half write. SSD can also be upgraded as it is not soldered

8. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

256 all day long. Get more then you think you will need and 128 is a super small amount in todays world.

Yes it can be upgraded but the average user will not do it

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I'm looking at getting the 13" model that comes standard with the 512GB SSD. The less chance I have to rely on other storage types the better. Plus I do actually have more then 256GB of applications and files on my Mac Mini currently which is what I will be replacing.

10. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

My rMBP is my secondary PC. On it I have only what I would need if I were to take a weekend trip or if my iMac failed right now and I were to keep moving along without messing with my TM back up. Other then programs / files there are about 1k pictures, 3 movies and 200ish songs.

This is is taking up 136gig of my HDD.