MacBook Pro 13: 2.26 GHz or 2.53 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James4894, Apr 12, 2010.

1. James4894 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I currently own a i5 iMac, and the performance has been fantastic.
    I also own a MacBook Pro 15inch (2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM), and am planning to sell it. Do you guys want to purchased it?

I am now planning to purchase a new MacBook Pro 13inch. As there are two models, I am not sure which one to get. I can get the base model for $1100, and the higher end one for $1400. I also don't want to get RAM for the base model one, if I do purchase it (because I am on budget; Crucial 4GB RAM is $100)

I am also planning to purchase the new Adobe CS5 Design Premium (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, e.t.c.).

I am wondering whether to get the base line model or the higher end one. I am on a budget, and there is almost no doubt I am going to get the the Adobe Suite. I will mainly use the programs (mainly Photoshop) on my iMac, but sometimes I might use them for my MacBook Pro (YES, the suite can run on two Macs, but not on the same time). I will mainly use my MacBook Pro for word processing, browsing the web, Photoshop, and sometimes Flash.

Which model should I get?

Please help.

Thanks guys!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Honestly..... I hate to give this kind of advice, but wait one more day..... there's a strong rumor that new models will be introduced tomorrow.

If that is the case, the current models will be able to be purchased at a discount, and you may be able to get the 2.53 GHz model for less than you'd expect.....

3. James4894 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Point

Thanks for the advice.

But, I heard rumors the the new models are only 15 and 17 inchers. I'm not sure though.

But I will definitely wait and see.

If no 13 inchers come out, which one would you pick?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

There still may be a speed bump in the 13 inchers. It may not be the new Arrandale chips, but they may be speedier than the current machines.

I have the 2.26 GHz, and am extremely happy with it. I use my MBP in the same way that you are planning on using it. I do some light Photoshop on it, with no performance problems.

Hope that helps.....

5. puma1552 macrumors 603

You don't want either of those models at the current prices.

Both models are outdated, and the 2.26 is so far outdated it's not even funny.

That just SOUNDS old and outdated.

Your money will be better off on a core series; the update HAS to be so close it's almost laughable at this point.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

My "outdated" machine works perfectly for my purposes (which also happen to be the OP's purposes).:rolleyes:

It will work perfectly for my purposes for the next 2-3 years.

What the poster above failed to recognize is that you are only interested in the 13" models.

7. puma1552 macrumors 603

No I didn't.

8. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

If you can wait,wait to see if they update the 13" MBP within the next week or so.If not just get the 2.26Ghz with 4GB ram,there isn't much of a speed difference between 2.26 and 2.53.But,if they do update,I hope they put the new i3 in it,there's 2 models for laptop's,2.13 and 2.26,get the 2.26 if they release it as a higher end model. :)
    Also,the new i3 has 2 cores and 4 threads,with hyper threading,while the Core 2 duo has 2 cores,2 threads and no hyper threading.So,I would wiat,or just get the 2.26 current MBP,you got the iMac i5 for all your processor intensive programs anyway.

(Oh btw,I do have the current MB unibody,which is a 2.26 Core 2 duo,same as the one in the MBP,and this thing has a ton of power,and I'm still only using 2GB with it too.I can encode a video,put a video on my PSP,and be playing itunes,and surfing the web with like 5 web pages open with no slow down.) :)

9. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

Just bought a 13" MacBook Pro 2.53MHz/4GB/250HDD for $1399 last week (and I knew the new models could be here as soon as tomorrow). I did this with the intention of using this new machine for a month or two after the new models come out so I can sit back and evaluate how they work out for awhile, then give this machine to my wife and pounce on one of the new models.

I am using this 2.53MHz MBP for web surfing, e-mail, and a lot of Lightroom and Photoshop editing work (using a Wacom Bamboo tablet). Typically I use my MacPro, iMac, or MacMini for image editing. I'm finding this new MBP 2.53MHz is performing magnificently. I have no yearning for any more power (not that I'd mind it, but not compelled by any means).

If I were you, I'd spend the extra $200 and go for the 2.53MHz model. $1399 at MacConnection. But I also know that you would probably not feel much difference, if any, if you got the slower clock. And 4GB is quite sufficient for heavy duty multi-tasking. I can run Photoshop with a half a dozen 50MB files open simultaneously while also running Firefox (with a dozen pages or so open), Mail, Lightroom, and iTunes without the machine slowing down a bit. Awesome computer! GO for it.