MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz vs. Macbook white 2.4Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abbakatte, Oct 17, 2009.

  1. abbakatte macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #1
    Hi everybody,

    New forum member here.

    I have ta Macbook white @ 2.4 GHz and 4GB that's less than a year old. I have upgraded my machines every year or so, but right now I'm wondering if the switch to a 13-inch Pro @ 2.26 or even 2.53 GHz is a smart move.

    I understand the differences between the two -- very clearly explained in this forum -- but one thing is biting me: my intention is to install a solid-state drive sometime in the future, and I read somewhere that my machine has a 3GB controller, as opposed to a 1.5 from the newer version. Is that true?

    The main use of this laptop is for live music (although I'm also experimenting with the Mini right now), and truth be told, I have a buyer right now but could put it off for sometime. My question is: all features considered, is that a smart move? Or will I be downgrading to some extent? I understand SSD drives are still expensive and it would take me another year to get one.

    Any advice or rumors on this are appreciated.

    Abba
     
  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #2
    The question is, is there anything wrong with your current computer? Is it too slow for your needs? If you answered no to both questions, then it is not time to upgrade. Also, I think you are referring to the SATA speeds, both computers are 3GB.
     
  3. abbakatte thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #3
    Thank you for your reply.

    I went to double-check, and found that my laptop has a 1.5 gigabit interface, as opposed to 3. The mac mini has a NVidia at 3GB. So that answers that question.

    But you're right, I have really no reason to upgrade, thanks for your input.

    Abba
     
  4. trondah macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2008
    #4
    There was a 1.5GBit issue with the new MBP but it was fixed with firmware.

    As for the upgrade question, I'm normally not the waiting type but at this point I would rather wait for the core I7 models to come out. They will wipe the floor with everything and the Arrendale models next spring should be really good battery wise as well. Also Apple might be switching chipsets.
     
  5. abbakatte thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #5
    Thanks for your inputs.

    Is there an approximate date for the I7 models? (Maybe I should be asking this in the rumors room? :confused:)
     

Share This Page