Macbook Pro 13" (2010) Airport Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solius, Feb 10, 2011.

1. solius macrumors regular

Ok so I just got this laptop yesterday in the mail. Upgraded to a 320gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive and thats all ive done everything else is stock. My problem is that after a few minutes of browsing my airport wifi thing will just stop working and I have to turn it off and back on so it will reconnect. I then have to keep on repeating this as it happens all the time. Anybody have any ideas of what it might be? Or do I just need to call apple. sigh... Does it at my university as well.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Try these:

a) Create a new user. Then log in as that user. Does it still do this? (it probably will)
    b) Create a new network location. Does it still do this (it probably will, but there's a possibility this could make a difference)
    c) Boot from a tester OS. If you still have the original HD, put it back in, and boot from it. Does it still do it?

If it still does it after all three of those, I'd be highly inclined to think it's the airport card itself. To know for certain, someone would have to put a new card in, and at this point, I'd say bring it in for warranty service.

If any of the things above does make a difference, then you basically have a software issue somewhere, and the level that makes a difference tells you roughly where to start looking. The symptom sounds like a card failure, so I doubt any of the above will make a difference, but a proper diagnosis can't be made without trying, and you could just skip all the way to the last test--a known-good tester OS.

3. solius thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to have resolved itself. I was online for about 4 hours at home with no issues. If it does act up again I will try the third option as you indicated for best diagnostic option.

Thanks for the helpful information.