Macbook Pro 13" 2010 bottom plate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rancor12345, Dec 11, 2010.

1. rancor12345 macrumors newbie

Hey, I bought my macbook in June of 2010. My bottom plate is heavily scratched in the middle. I touched it and found out that it was bulging out a bit. Is it possible to get my bottom plate replaced in anyway?

2. saandeep macrumors newbie

You can take yours to the Apple Store and have them look at it. If you didn't damage it or if they think you couldn't have done anything to damage it in that way, they'd replace it.

3. rancor12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hypothetical speaking because i checked my bottom plate after ages..But what if they think i have damaged it? can i still get it replaced somehow by paying for it or something?

4. rancor12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch. But is it possible to get my all the serial numbers and everything at the bottom of it? and will getting it void my warranty or something?

5. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If the plate is bulging the battery might be swelling.... So you should let apple look at it first before you do anything.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Serial numbers are in computer not on plate so you will be fine. But i would agree about checking for battery swelling.

7. armada120 macrumors newbie

The serial number is printed on the logic board (IIRC), engraved/printed on the bottom cover, and located within system profiler/About This Mac.

8. rancor12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think the battery is swelling but ill still get it checked out. Will ordering and replacing my backplate void my warranty? or should i go to apple and tell them to replace it?

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Only if in doing so you screw up something else in the system. Don't jab your screwdriver through the logic board and you'll be just fine. :D

In order for the backplate to void the warranty on the rest of the system, they'd need to establish that the replacement somehow caused the other problem. Since memory and hard drive are user replaceable items, removal of the backplate can't void the warranty unless in doing so you slip and damage something. Be careful and use the right tools; get good quality jewelers screwdrivers from Sears or Radio Shack, not some cheap cr@p from the dollar store.