Macbook pro 13 2010 for University

Avis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hello everyone,
I wanted to know if the macbook 13 inch pro 2010 edition be good enough to last another 2-3 years at least ,as i will be starting university soon,planning to major in computer science.
I plan on maximizing the ram to 8GB and maybe putting in an SSD later(Not sure on this).
I also plan to get a 24 inch External monitor which might help for coding.
My battery is also 2 years old now. and i get a maximum of 5 hours on Lion. How long will the battery last after 2-3 years?
So guys what do you say?
Should i go for a new mac?
I'm confused.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Since it currently meets your needs, it will probably continue to meet your needs. You may find that your curriculum will be better suited for an upgrade but you won't know until you get there.

I know it may sound like if you are going into CS that you'll want an ultra powerful system but any ultra powerful programming might be better suited for powerful school systems which you can connect to remotely. So I'd say wait a year or possibly 2.

Comment

Avis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
What about the battery life?
Thanks for your reply

Comment

Avis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I mean i get that too,around 5 hrs.
But 2-3 years down the line,I would still like meaningful battery life atleast 2 hours.
Is that plausible?

Comment

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Unless your battery dies, then yes. If your battery dies though, you can just replace that.

Comment

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I think you will be fine. Make sure to have some type of external hd to save your work just in case it does fail. Happened to me and it sucked that i lost everything.

Comment