Macbook pro 13 2010 for University

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Avis, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Avis macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to know if the macbook 13 inch pro 2010 edition be good enough to last another 2-3 years at least ,as i will be starting university soon,planning to major in computer science.
    I plan on maximizing the ram to 8GB and maybe putting in an SSD later(Not sure on this).
    I also plan to get a 24 inch External monitor which might help for coding.
    My battery is also 2 years old now. and i get a maximum of 5 hours on Lion. How long will the battery last after 2-3 years?
    So guys what do you say?
    Should i go for a new mac?
    I'm confused.

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Since it currently meets your needs, it will probably continue to meet your needs. You may find that your curriculum will be better suited for an upgrade but you won't know until you get there.

I know it may sound like if you are going into CS that you'll want an ultra powerful system but any ultra powerful programming might be better suited for powerful school systems which you can connect to remotely. So I'd say wait a year or possibly 2.

3. Avis thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the battery life?
    Thanks for your reply

4. Liquinn Suspended

I get around 5-6 hours on my 13" macbook pro ^_^

5. Avis thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean i get that too,around 5 hrs.
    But 2-3 years down the line,I would still like meaningful battery life atleast 2 hours.
    Is that plausible?

6. Avis thread starter macrumors newbie

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Unless your battery dies, then yes. If your battery dies though, you can just replace that.

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I think you will be fine. Make sure to have some type of external hd to save your work just in case it does fail. Happened to me and it sucked that i lost everything.