Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
G'day,

I just opened up my 2010 Macbook Pro 13" - took the base off to clean the fan, and whilst I was in there, pulled the battery and attempted to clean the trackpad's belly... (ie underneath)

No change to my problem - the clicker is erratic... works maybe 3/4 times... same issue in any location on the trackpad...

If I actually do pull the trackpad, is there any way to disassemble and clean it further?

How much for a replacement? Where from? (Am in Australia)

Cheers

cosmic

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
There's no point in cleaning the trackpad, as the button itself is tiny and sealed. However, there is a screw that adjusts the sensitivity of the button. It's really big, and it's a T6. It's impossible to miss. If that doesn't fix the issue, you have a bad trackpad.

Btw, the best way I've found to test the trackpad clicker is to highlight an area of the desktop, making the rectangle. Slowly reduce pressure. If the rectangle vanishes before you feel the "click", then the trackpad isn't working right. The two options are to adjust this screw or replace the trackpad.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Thank-you for the reply!!!

I'd gone into the operation yesterday a little gung-ho, without printing any take apart manuals etc... so ended up looking at iFixit on my iPhone when I had to figure out how to remove the battery to get to the trackpad... (Ok, I could have figured it out, but don't like tampering without knowing what it is I'm doing... is why it took 3 years to build up courage to open my TAM!)

As such I didn't really have much plan other than to spray some compressed air around... I saw the T6 screw, but didn't play with it...

At this moment, the clicker DOES seem to be more responsive! Previously, I'd say at worst it was having a 50% failure rate when clicking... now I'd say it's only 5-10% failure.

To clarify - when I say "clicking" - it has always made the audible click sound... just not being recongised by the OS...

My wife uses this computer more than me, so I'll have her keep an eye/ear out and see how it goes...

cheers

cosmic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.