MacBook Pro 13' 2011 - 10.9.2 is better than 10.6?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kinisia, May 18, 2014.

1. kinisia macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to face something that is creating a lot of doubts in my mind. I have a Macbook pro 13' late 2011 and I updated to Mavericks (10.9) immediately after it came on App Store. When i bought my mac it had installed os x 10.6 and i couldn't appreciate it until i installed 10.8 and 10.9

My mac is much more similar to an iPhone/iPad than a Mac. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with this OS X. I don't wanna be blasted only because i don't accept this new apple philosophy.

I want to know your opinion about that. Few days ago i thought to restore 10.6 on my mac. Is not a problem of compatibility, i don't use a lot of apps or softwares. I used to love the simplicity of 10.6. Do you think is a good idea to restore 10.6?

2. yjchua95, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014

yjchua95 macrumors 604

No, because 10.6 no longer receives security updates. You will be be more vulnerable to malware. Besides, Mavericks handles RAM far better than SL does.

You should be on 10.9.3. The iOS-ification of OS X is inevitable. In fact, I find that I love the iOS-ification of it (i.e. Mission Control. Expose and Spaces in SL was hell for me). Besides, Notification Centre is very useful, and I can iMessage between my Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.

How is it similar to iOS? First, iOS doesn't have a proper file system, and there's a lot of things you just can't do on iOS (like serious work such as Photoshop, FCPX). The overall user experience is still completely different.

To say that 10.9 is complicated compared to 10.6, I call BS on that. In fact, I'd say it's far less complicated than SL (swipe to switch desktops, Expose and Space merged into one, having all my most-used apps in a single page on Launchpad, being able to sync Notes, Reminders, Contacts, Calendar and documents via iCloud between my Mac and iOS devices).

To resist change is impossible. Change is always happening. Sorry to put it so harshly, but to resist change is just an excuse to be lazy to learn new stuff :)

The day Lion came out, I upgraded to it and started adapting to the iOS-ification of it pretty quickly. The only thing that hindered Lion was that it was a resource hog.

Mountain Lion fixed all that and it was a really good OS. Mavericks came along and made it even better (except for the awful Mail app).

3. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I used to have Mavericks in my Air. And when I got Late 2011 13" MBP, I installed also Mavericks. After experiencing slowness especially when opening program like Pages, Word, finally yesterday I installed Snow Leopard 10.6.8. It runs very well until now, it's just speedy. The only missing part is sync on my calendar, notes, and contacts.

I may consider going back to Mavericks, when the HDD has been replaced with SSD.

4. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I can't say I see much of a point to it ether... OSX has received a number of pretty nifty updates since 10.6 and in my use the only effect of the iOS:ification has been that I can can no longer stack spaces vertically (so I went from a 4x2-setup to a 6x1) or "arrange" (rather than "sort") files by type. If you ask me, the whole panic about OSX being iOS:ified is mostly completely unfounded as the changes that have been made have mostly been optional features like Launchpad.

Like previously mentioned, 10.6 isn't receiving any security updates anymore and OSX has received a number of structural security updates since then. However the risk of getting infected only increases from infinitesimal to slightly less infinitesimal as OSX malware has been and still is mostly trojans with anything else being proof-of-concept that only works on old versions of OSX in a lab environment.

The only time I've personally thought about going back to 10.6 was when 10.9.2 broke HDMI output on my machine, but that was mostly fixed with 10.9.3 (you now have to be running the iGPU before it'll "accept" the HDMI adapter).

5. kinisia thread starter macrumors newbie

i agree with you about the connections between apple devices, is amazing set a meeting in calendar and find it on ipad and iphone. i thought that SL was really bad and updating to mavericks made me happy because it was fast, free and efficient.

However is something that i feel, i feel that my mac is more like an iphone, have you seen the new apps menu layout (4 fingers in the pad), looks like an ipad. I'm not disappointed but i'm starting to see my laptop like a tablet.

Obviously i am not saying i want FreeBSD on my mac, but in the next update i want restored the Leopard layout and improved connections between apple devices.

What i think is going poorer during this 3 years (2011-2014) is the App Store. I've seen a bunch of games just adapted for Mac but iPhone native (CSR Racing, 2048, etc etc). the most of the times you've to buy utilities online from private software development companies. But this is off topic, just observation.

Anyway i remain pro-10.6. In addition you will lose the compatibility with the new printers, scanners, cameras, etc.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes I have. Like I mentioned, I like the Launchpad (four fingers pinch in) because I can have all my favorite apps in a single page and just launch them. If you don't want your laptop to look like a tablet, don't open Launchpad :)

7. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

The reason why I'd never consider 10.6 anymore mostly relates to the aforementioned lack of security updates. By today's standards, it's just an old OS, and I'll agree with anyone that Lion was a bit of a resource hog.

That being said, most of the iOS-like features were added and you can choose not to use them. Notification Center? Turn it off (either with Do Not Disturb or using some prior methods). Don't like the Notes or Reminders apps? Don't use them (I actually use Clear). Think Launchpad looks too iOS homescreen-like? Remove it from the Dock.

Don't forget to disable Gatekeeper to run apps from wherever you want.

While I will agree that Apple is adding some iOS-like features, mostly to make those who already have iOS devices more comfortable with switching to the Mac, it's a bit harsh to firmly avoid a new operating system because it has some features you don't like, despite some improvements under-the-hood (Timer Coalescing, Memory Compression).

Plus, if you ever get a new Mac, you won't have as much of a shock at some of the changes that are enabled by default.