macbook pro 13" 2011- 7 hours of battery ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by giladavni, Mar 17, 2011.

1. giladavni macrumors member

giladavni

like i said, i have the 13" 2011 i7 500GB HD MacBook Pro.

in apple's website its says :

[​IMG]

im not feels tht is really have 7 hours. maybe its a problam in my computer ?

2. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

So are you saying that your not getting 7 hours? Read this.

This should answer most if not all of your battery questions. Compliments of GGJstudios. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Not trying to sound like a dick or anything but, in the box your Squared around it says "Up To 7 Hours", key word is UP TO. I'm just saying they aren't guaranteeing 7 hours but close to it.

4. sdneidich macrumors member

the 7 hours is determined by this method:

Computer is set to 50% brightness.
    It cycles a few websites, staying 20 seconds on each page, wirelessly.
    Under that method, it lasts 7 hours.

Actual use will vary. I usually have my display at 30% brightness, and it forecasts 8 hours of battery life.

Check the health of your battery by downloading iStats. http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

If it is unhealthy, take it to get replacement. Apple will replace if it is under warranty, under 1000 cycles, and less than 80% health.

5. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

One thing I love about my 2010 MBP 13, is that when I have the screen at about 30-40% and Im running some websites and microsoft word, I'll get anywhere from 8-11 hours. It's amazing.

6. giladavni thread starter macrumors member

giladavni

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It also makes a huge difference if you constantly have your fingers on the touchpad for scrolling and stuff. Also with switching apps and any kind of actual use it is usually close to 4-5h. 7h or more is only in close to best case scenarios. A script that forwards every 20 seconds doesn't result in the same workload as a person clicking on a link, reading and scrolling down and 20 seconds later click on the next link. If you only open a pdf and close skype you can probably get depending on brightness something of around 7-10h. you should use keys to scroll and switch pages.

8. giladavni thread starter macrumors member

giladavni

im always with the touchpad ! but all i do on the computer is most of the time - just surfing in the web with google chrome...

9. moosaur macrumors newbie

I have the i5 2011 13in MBP -- I generally get close to, if not a little more than 7 hours with what I consider normal usage. IM, Chrome with a few tabs, maybe a little MS word, maybe some Flash play back. But, I dislike backlit keyboards and bright screens, so that saves me a lot of battery drain.

Also, I've been able to watch two movies back to back, and have some battery life left.

10. giladavni thread starter macrumors member

giladavni

"IM" - aduim ?

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

yes, this is true. I've seen a max of 10 hours but I'll routinely hit 6-8 in normal usage. Now, when I'm working in iMovie with HD content that can drop to 3 hours or so. The "i" series of processors from Intel will scale down to very low power or scale up to high performance depending on what you need at anytime. So, you'll see a larger spread of battery life depending on how you use the system.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also use iStat Pro, which is free.

13. moosaur macrumors newbie

Yep!

That was my point, with my normal usage, I get the battery life I expect. And when it dips, it's usually because I'm doing something like watching a movie, using Flash or processing photos.

giladavni, yes, Adium.

14. tdream macrumors 65816

Looking at the battery icon and saying oh look I get 10 hours battery life is nonsense. That timer is an approximation of total system load at that moment in time. Get out your stopwatch or timer and actually test from start to finish then you can get an accurate result. 7 hours max because guess what in the previous tests were done with wireless off, which again was total nonsense.

If you want to watch youtube videos divide time by 2, you want to download? divide time by 3, play games? Divide time by 4.

15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Exactly right.

I can usually get 5-6 hours when I'm coding in Xcode and running the occasional unit test or simulator. I'm pretty happy with it. (On a 2011 15" MBP)

I think, alongside the "wireless web" time, they should run the HL2 FPS test on repeat and provide that time as well. Sure it will be dismal, but at least it would give us another metric to compare machines against.

16. tdream macrumors 65816

That would be great. To know no matter what you do you will at least get x amount of time. Most likely the reason they won't do that thought is they will get very close to pc laptops or maybe worse. At the end of the day time = battery capacity/power usage. Nothing has really changed in battery capacity so 7 hours is thanks to very low cpu usage only and terrible windows background processes.

17. feare macrumors newbie

Max I got out of my mid-09 13" MBP was 8.5 hours. Its easy to get ridiculously long battery life if you turn down your screen brightness and avoid videos/intensive programs.

Even after two years I can still get 6-7 hours of battery. (I use it mainly as a desktop)

18. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

7 hours would be the best you could get, actual time will vary depending on use e.g. gaming vs browsing