MacBook Pro 13 2011, Gaming Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninjaslim, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ninjaslim macrumors member

So, I used to have a MacBook Pro 13 2010--the based model with 4GB of RAM and the Geforce 320M. I needed more space, more ram and more processing power, so I switched to the MacBook Pro 13 2011 with Core i5 and 8GB RAM after I found a really good deal and was able to sell my old one. With the old one, I found that gaming performance was good with games from Valve, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and so forth, under OS X when they worked, but it was unstable meaning performance varied. I suspect this is because of driver issues. To my surprise, I finally put Team Fortress 2 on this machine and was able to play with everything on High except for textures and no motion effect (that effect when you spin fast) and AA 2x and AS 16x with frames steady at ~30. The resolution was native 1280x800. What's been everyone else's experience? Is the stable performance because the drivers are better for Intel cards?

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

From what I have seen in benchmarks, Apple didn't make as good drivers for Nvidia as Nvidia did in Windows. ( As in, the Intel H3000 can win from the 320m in some situtaitons in OS X, but in Windows the 320m is faster ).

3. ninjaslim thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if performance would be better under Windows with this card. Somehow, regardless of the settings, I always get ~30 FPS.