Macbook Pro 13 2011 -> Macbook Air 13 2011. Is it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fsmorelli, Jul 24, 2011.

1. fsmorelli macrumors member

Hi people. I'm from Brazil. Sorry about my english, but i hope you understand me. Here i go.
    I got a 2011 Macbook Pro 13" i5 2.3GHz, 4GB, 500GB in London, early this year.
    And I'm thinking about selling it and buy the new Macbook Air 13 i5 1.8Ghz.
    It's a good opotunity for me selling it in brazil, because i won't lose money.

I'm new in this Mac World, and i'd like to know if this change is worth.
    Wich have more performance?

thank you!
    cheers

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Unless you care about the weight or size, if you stick an ssd in the macbook pro you should just keep it.

3. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

with that Macbook Pro I would stay with it unless you really do need the extra portability and can live with a smaller HD

4. fsmorelli thread starter macrumors member

Thank for you guy.
    The HD is not a big deal for me, cause i've got a 1TB external HD.
    Another point of view?

cheers

5. jasonbro macrumors regular

The SSD makes it faster. If you want a MBair for how portable it is then that decision is totally your prerogative of how important the slimmer size it.

But pretty much an SSD will make your computer fast i think (off the top of my head) but larger.

Also the air has a higher res screen right? That's pretty nice.

It's just how important size/screen res is to you.

EDIT: i mean you can put an SSD in your MBP. The air has an SSD and that's what makes it 'snappier'

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

MBP = Power
    MBA = Mobility

If you want quickness in startup/launch of apps, just buy SSD for your mbp.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

keep the Pro ... better for upgrading the SSD or Ram

8. rockerz macrumors newbie

can i use new mba 2011 for all day work

i am going to be a new mac user . i am a pc user all my life so just planning to switch to mac with new mba 2011 . right now i am using dell inspiron 1525 as my machina i use it almost all the time & sometime us it with an external display.

My machine at least 14-15hrs a day i run photoshop,corel, dreamweaver kind of apps so i want to can my new mba 2011 able to go through this kind of working enviroment or should i buy macbook pro 13.3 inch.

Also advice me to go for macbook pro 13.3 or mba 13.3

9. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Mac. Book. Pro. Definitely.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Compared rto a 13 inch Air? Apple rates them both at 7 hours. But I'd suggest keeping the Pro.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I would stick to the Pro. Better in the long run since it is possible to upgrade the ram to 8GB, but it is not possible in the Air. You also retain FireWire, an ethernet port, and the optical drive if you ever do need it.

13. rockerz macrumors newbie

thanks for valuable reply friends. MBA 2011 is not yet available in my country it take 2-3 weeks .So i am planning to go for mbp pro 13.3 inch but i dont want i regret later that why don't i bought macbook air 2011 because many of my friend switching from pro to air.

As i told you i run my laptop as desktop at least 12-14 hours a day so is Macbook air not able to take this kind of daily long running time . can you differentiate between macbook pro 13.3 & MBA 2011 13.3 inch power & performance wise.

I also take it for meetings but there is not big difference in weight .I also just checked the battery meter is absent in MBA.

I want to switch to mac but before that i am taking dell 15z as option because for less price than mbp 13.3 i am getting better 1gb graphic card & 3 years complete cover accidental damage which apple not give.

waiting for your replies & advice :)

14. dsio macrumors regular

Dell's complete cover is excellent, I had them pay for about $7k in replacement parts for my Dell over the three years I had it, dropped it off a car, they replaced it on site, ran over it, same deal, got the back scratched/scuffed, they replaced it, spilled drink on it, they fixed it, and then in end when I wanted to sell it I had the reshell it as it was pretty shagged out from wear and tear. For $300, its a steal.

The MBP is covered by my insurance :)

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That's it in a nutshell; it is a trade off between power and portability, and you must ask yourself which you need more. To my way of thinking, portability is a must, as I travel a lot, but that is not everyone's priority.

To the OP, the device you currently have is excellent. Unless you want the better screen resolution, faster SSD, and sheer portability of the MBA, I'd say stay with what you have.

To rockerz, again, for what you say you need, the MBP sounds like a better buy; it is more powerful, has better battery and can be upgraded.

Cheers and good luck to you both

16. Philflow macrumors 65816

Sometimes forgotten:

MBP covers 77% of RGB color space vs. MBA 47%.

For $99 you can put a 500GB Hybrid drive in the MBP. Getting 500GB storage in the MBA costs > $1399 (faster though).

17. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 MBP and just put in a 128GB SSD drive. I have heaps of programs installed in the hopes that I can work off my external drive (which was once my main drive in the computer). Suffice to say, this thing flies and best best part about it; no moving parts since the 7200rpm drive was making everything vibrate! The slightly improved battery life helps as well.

Keep the Pro. You can upgrade the RAM and you have better bits. However, if you had no objection with money, you could just sell the MBP and get the highest spec 13" Air with i7 processor.

18. Fugue macrumors 6502

I was debating the same thing recently. I decided to keep my Macbook Pro for the following reasons.

• Better color gamut on the Pro. The screen produces more vibrant colors, although the resolution is lower
    • Personally, I feel the Pro is better looking. It is more symmetrical, rather than having the teardrop design
    • Upgradable RAM and Harddrive
    • Extra Ports, although I have no use for them
    • Optical Drive. Once again, I have no use for it
    • Slightly faster clock speed over the Air, almost negligable
    • Better keyboard. The keys are positioned higher than on the Air, enabling an easier typing experience

19. rockerz macrumors newbie

also i have one question in my mind should i wait for the new macbook pro update apple release in late 2011 or early 2012.

As i don't want to feel bad when it comes out soon after buying the mbp 13.3 . anybody sure about it when its coming ? & are you sure they coming with design change ?

20. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

You can try to email Steve (haha) or, rather, follow this guide, courtesy of this very own website.

21. rockerz macrumors newbie

i am very confused between the 13 & 15 inch . today i went to a store & like 15inch more but again the pricing comes & i can buy 13 inch + ipad with little more cash & for the same price i get just 15 inch.

i cant test out all things at store .like how the text of pdf looks on 13inch screen or is there any difference in website resolution if i check it on 13 & 15 inch.i dont i need to drag the cursor to see the whole website.

can anyone help me out. i run a digital marketing firm & already have a powerful windows machine but i want to switch to apple but also dont want to spend a lot of money as i am from india & here apple products prices very high compare to US. so please guide me 13 inch or 15 inch ? i am planning to buy within 2-3 days...

22. Young Spade macrumors 68020

It would be a lot easier to just read the plethora of other threads created about this topic than post and wait for someone to answer here.

99.9 percent of the time, any question asked by someone now has already been answered. You're going to be hard pressed to find someone who has both; chances are though, somebody has done extensive work on each and has already posted this in another topic.