Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknobrat2003

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I recently purchased a Macbook Pro 13 i5 2011 and the wireless randomly disconnects. I have read a lot of people are experiencing this. Is there a fix for this?

I'm thinking of returning it as a result of this issue since it happens up to 20 times per day depending on how much I'm using it and has caused a lot of inconveniences. For example, I've hit send on emails and the wireless suddenly drops and I've lost the email or a thread post. It's pretty annoying.

I use an Airport Express and have an iMac 2010 which has constant signal as well as some PC laptops which hold constant signals as well. It's just this Macbook Pro 13 2011. Any ideas?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
To many variables that need to be filled in. What type of encryption is being used ( if any and has it been tried without)? Have you tried different channels (could be interference from something nearby)? Is the IP being assigned by the router or is it a reserved IP? IS the SSID being broadcast or hidden? What band is being used (2.4 N or 5 N or g possibly) and if so does it happen on the other bands? All of these possibilities could limit your connectivity. You say other comps have no issue, are they being used in the same locations as the MBP without issues (could be location specific)? I would at the least try it with SSID broadcast on, no encryption, and see if the issues persist, then take it from there. It is at least someplace to start. I have mine as reserved IPs handed out so that they never expire (which could be happening if it is DHCP) and I always know which IP to address a comp directly. Try some of these suggestions and let us know further.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
To many variables that need to be filled in. What type of encryption is being used ( if any and has it been tried without)? Have you tried different channels (could be interference from something nearby)? Is the IP being assigned by the router or is it a reserved IP? IS the SSID being broadcast or hidden? What band is being used (2.4 N or 5 N or g possibly) and if so does it happen on the other bands? All of these possibilities could limit your connectivity. You say other comps have no issue, are they being used in the same locations as the MBP without issues (could be location specific)? I would at the least try it with SSID broadcast on, no encryption, and see if the issues persist, then take it from there. It is at least someplace to start. I have mine as reserved IPs handed out so that they never expire (which could be happening if it is DHCP) and I always know which IP to address a comp directly. Try some of these suggestions and let us know further.

There has been a problem with Apple laptops for at least 3 years.

Check on their own forums. There are numerous threads with people reporting the signal will just drop for no reason what so ever.

i.phone4

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I had this problem on my 2005 MacBook when I started using it again in 2010. Like someone said, there are so many variables. What I did was reinstall my RAM, literally take it out and put it back in. I also reinstalled the OS. I don't know if either one fixed it but it was fixed.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
There has been a problem with Apple laptops for at least 3 years.

Check on their own forums. There are numerous threads with people reporting the signal will just drop for no reason what so ever.

I would agree there are probably issues, but I also feel that there are things people can do to alleviate lots of problems to create a more stable environment, and lots of people create their own problems or don't understand what is actually happening). Networking is an art. To get it done correctly can be a finesse thing. Most people feel that it is all plug and play (and the manufacturers would like to make it so, but there are too many variables to consider).

I have seen people set the key recycling and expiration times on DHCP so low (thinking it will make their systems more secure, less = better in this case), that they are constantly being recycled and in large environments it causes IP crashing as the server is constantly trying to recycle IP addressing. I consistently survey my area and have found at least 11 different SSIDs at any given moment (6 are running the standard settings, some without encryption, and on the default channel 6) tell me this won't cause issues?
The posters were coming here asking for help and I thought I would offer some solutions. I have 2 new MBPs and several other computers on my home network. I have none of the issues reported by these 2 posters, so I thought I would help rather than just write it off. I have defined my network as such that I can completely control it locally and remotely, and I find that the wireless in these new models have been the best of the last few years. What was a limitation on prior models due to location (weak signal) has been resolved on these. You can't compare a desktop (iMac) that is used in one never changing location (probably close to the router a swell) to a constantly moving and changing system like a laptop(unless of course you are using them only int the exact same place (location makes a huge difference)). Which begs the question are the settings exactly the same on the two systems. These things can help one to troubleshot and narrow down the issues, be it hardware, software, or other.

Call me lucky, but I thought I would just offer help. RF is a magical and wonderous thing. I am FCC certified in Rf repair, transmitting, and propagation, so I try to find issues that may be related to factors most don't think about before I write off the device itself. Just because someone posts about it doesn't make it a "true" issue (like the heat reports with the new MBPs, they do get hot, but very few notice anything, and the lots of the earky problems turned out to be software related and not hardware) as the posters over at the Apple forums are the same average people that post everywhere else on the internet, not Apple employees (at least rarely are they Apple employees).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.