Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Today I tried to install a new 240GB Seagate 600 SSD in my MacBook Pro. I already have a 120GB SanDisk Extreme SSD in this MacBook Pro and it works fine, but I wanted a little bit more storage and got a really good deal on Black Friday. Anyways, installing OS X 10.9.1 on the SSD seemed completely fine, and I imported my old data to the new drive using Migration Assistant.

Here is where it get weird. For the first couple of times the system booted and shut down completely fine. When I started doing a little bit of stress testing however (opening every single application at the same time), it stopped booting after I restarted it. It is just stuck on the grey Apple logo with the little spinning circle below it. I tried booting it using Safe Mode and it does not work either. It also ignored my command of booting it by Verbose Mode. When I tried to repair the drive using Recovery HD it tells me that there is some problem with repairing the partition map and that "live file system repair is not supported".

For now I have reinstalled my old drive and it works fine. Using a USB bridge I am able to read the data on the new SSD just fine, but just could not get it to boot. The S.M.A.R.T status on the new drive shows "Not Supported".

Has anyone here have a similar problem? Is this solely a drive problem or does it involve any other issues?

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You could try repairing the disk while booted to your old drive to see if that helps, but it sounds to me like your new SSD is defective. If you did not install something to cause this conflict, a drive does not just spontaneously get corrupted like that.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
You could try repairing the disk while booted to your old drive to see if that helps, but it sounds to me like your new SSD is defective. If you did not install something to cause this conflict, a drive does not just spontaneously get corrupted like that.
Yeah I have tried that and both the disk and the volume itself "appears to the OK" when I tried to repair it.

thundar97

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
Yeah I have tried that and both the disk and the volume itself "appears to the OK" when I tried to repair it.

Hey,

Was this issue resolved? I was thinking of purchasing the same drive, but if this is the issue, I probably won't...

Let me know if you found a workaround/solution. Thanks.

----------

Also, have you tried the official instructions from Seagate?
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/200851en?popup=true&language=en_US

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Hey,

Was this issue resolved? I was thinking of purchasing the same drive, but if this is the issue, I probably won't...

Let me know if you found a workaround/solution. Thanks.
Yes, I have replaced the drive through Newegg and the replacement now works fine. SMART still shows "Not Supported" but the drive does not crash in the same conditions anymore. For some reason when I go to Recovery HD and repair the drive it still shows an error but otherwise the drive works fine.

----------

I did not use these instructions because I am installing OS X Mavericks which does not come with DVDs (in fact, my computer never shipped with recovery DVDs). Instead, I made an 8GB installer drive using DiskMaker X and the Mavericks app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.