Macbook Pro 13" 2012 Fan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blossom-1, Feb 7, 2013.

1. blossom-1 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and to owning a Mac! Last week I bought my first Mac in-store and had no problems with it, until today.

Today I noticed that the fan is rather loud especially compared to people who have the same model (the base 13" non-retina). I must admit I'm quite surprised as my windows laptop which is considerably older isn't much louder. I'd like to take it into store to get it checked out but this isn't very easy as I live over three and half hours away from one.

Therefore I'd like to ask is this normal? And if not what are my best options?

Thank you! :)

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Is there a certain period at which it is loud? Are you running any demanding applications and/or using Flash in the web browser (i.e. Youtube)?

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Initially it may be loud if Spotlight is still indexing your hard drive because you recently installed new software.

It's normal for your Mac to be loud if Spotlight looks like that:
    [​IMG]

But don't worry, that almost only happens when your Mac is new.

4. blossom-1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just running continuously which to me doesn't seem right especially as my previous windows laptops have all been silent or quiet to begin with and my friends Mac is silent.

I'm not running anything demanding, if anything at all. At the most I was using safari. But even when I have quit all applications it still sounds like the fan is running (I can't think of anything else it could be). I've checked the CPU and it looks normal and I haven't ran anything using flash either.

Thank you!

----------

Spotlight doesn't look like that....

Thank you!

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Try resetting the SMC:
    1. Shut it down
    2. Press (on the left side) Shift, Control, Option and the power button
    3. Release them all together
    4. Power on the Mac

If that doesn't help, take it to the Apple Store.

6. amit715 macrumors member

i had the same problem with my mid 2012 pro ..i tried everything but nothing worked until i installed an ssd ...im guessing it was the hard drive making that noise ,whatever was causing it was fixed .