MacBook Pro 13" 2012 max VRam

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleta, Jun 25, 2013.

1. bleta macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I recently upgrade my ram at 16gb 1600Mhz but the VRAM seems to stacked in 512mb while at the same time some other products that i saw on the internet such as Mac mini and 13" Rmbp uses 768mb of VRAM..
    Does anyone knows what's happening?

2. xnview macrumors member

You can't change the VRAM without changing the grafic card. It's not the same kind of memory as the RAM. The VRAM is dedicated on the grafic card. On some computers that have integrated grafic card to the motherboard, they have dedicated some amount of the regular RAM as VRAM, and then you can change it. On your computer though (and close to every other computer) there's a dedicated separate VRAM, which you can't change. Only thing you can change is the regular RAM but it won't change your grafics. But your computer will still feel faster by upgrading your RAM

3. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

I have maxed out the main ram on my computer but because of the shared VRAM of my graphics card Intel HD 4000 should be increase at some point when I increased the ram..Some macminis and retina mcp with same specs and less ram (8 gb) they are able to see 768mb of vRAm

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Umm, no. (S)he is talking about the iGPU, which shares memory with the RAM on all Apple computers. More RAM should and does mean more vRAM, up to 768MB.

5. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, but in my case 16gb of ram does not increase the VRam at 768 but its stucked at 512...Is there any way to fix that?
    Anyone else has the same issue?

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

SMC reset and restart to start.

7. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

8. B..., Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

B... macrumors 68000

B...

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

In OSX for the most part you need very little VRAM. How much VRAM you have is simply decided for you by Apple. They think with this much RAM it makes sense to put that much aside for VRAM. It is arbitrary and generally doesn't matter. VRAM won't improve performance by even the smallest bit in 99.9% of cases. If Apple thought it helped you in any meaningful way they would increase the size. Or they'd do it like Windows if it was a painful tradeoff.

In Windows it works differently and when you want to run games you should boot Windows anyway. Windows just sets some minimum usually as a bios setting 64-512MB but dynamically adds up to 1.7GB on runtime if the GPU thinks it needs it.

I can imagine no use case where more than 512MB would help in any way in which a HD 4000 isn't completely inadequate anyway. More VRAM wouldn't save the day.

10. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

smc reset does not fix the issue..
    I hold down the shift+ctrl+opt & power button at he same time but nothing happened

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Connected to power?

12. bleta thread starter macrumors newbie

yep and hold the buttons down for about 5-8sec