MacBook Pro 13 2012 Upgrade: Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxwelltech, Sep 3, 2012.

1. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

My new MacBook Pro (specs in my signature) is kind of slowing down: Bootups now take 1.5 minutes, and applications like Chrome takes 5+ bounces before opening. It is kind of disappointing to see speeds like this on a $1500 new computer, so that is why I want to upgrade it to its full potential. I was thinking about upgrade costs, but I can't resist a great deal on Amazon ($80 for a Kingston 120GB SSD).
    I have a few questions:
    1. Can I use a small flat head screwdriver to remove the T6 mounting screws on the hard drive?
    2. At the same time of upgrading to SSD, I want to remove the optical drive, take the original 750GB hard drive, and put it into a hard drive caddy (Amazon, details here http://goo.gl/AeP0c). Is there any risks of installing this? I really don't want to damage a $1500 computer.
    3. How do you set it up once it is done? I already installed a bunch of apps, and I really don't want to reinstall the OS and lose everything. There isn't really a full-featured guide about this on the web.
    Thanks for helping me out!

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well, first of all. Your computer should not be that slow. Check this for some help:http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13817005&postcount=2

Now for the SSD upgrade. If you have a flat-head screwdriver small enough to fit into t6 screw, it is possible to remove it. Just be careful and make sure you don't strip them. I would suggest you just a purchase a t6 driver at any local hardware store, they're not hard to find. The hard drive caddy you have linked will work and no, it will not damage your computer in any way.

As for the rest of your questions, check out this guide:

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use the correct tool for the job. Live near a Home Depot? This is a great tool:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-IN-1-Torx-Screwdriver-Set/100087664/

Use Internet recovery to install OSX on the new SSD, then use the migration assistant to copy over your user account and applications from your old HDD.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

4. maxwelltech thread starter macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

About the setup question, I have read a guide that tells me to clone everything except the user folder, then manually pointing the home directory to the old hard drive. Is this true?

5. maxwelltech thread starter macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

6. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Try the PRAM reset, turn off your MBP and turn it back on and immediately hold the Command+Option+P+R keys. My MBP was taking almost 2 minutes to boot up, I did this and it now only take 35-40 seconds. Might fix your other problems as well.

Good luck

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

If you have to unscrew a T6 use a T6 bit. Why would you risk it? specially on a new computer. Buy a decent set, you'll need it anyhow in the future if you want to do other upgrades.
    SSD is a great improvement, think about getting a Samsung 830, I paid $115 free shipping for a 128 Gb one.

8. maxwelltech thread starter macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

Thanks a lot. PRAM reset has cut my boot time to 45 seconds.

This question is related to drive choice. I can get the Samsung 830 for 100 on Amazon right now, and this is my preferred choice. However, I just saw an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB that is only $75 after rebate. I know OCZ drives are not that reliable, but recent reviews said that they are pretty good now. Should I get the Vertex 3 instead of the 830?

9. fleawannabe macrumors regular

No problem and I would go for the 830, just make sure it has the latest firmware before you install it.