Macbook Pro 13' 2012 (upgrade questions)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HurricaneRozz, May 18, 2015.

1. HurricaneRozz macrumors newbie

HurricaneRozz

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro 13' that i want to upgrade. i want to upgrade to a SSD and go from 4 gb of ram to 16 gb of ram. Now everyone is going to tell me to do it on my own, and i still may consider doing that. But i am asking for everyone to go with the idea of asking apple to upgrade both for me and what the cost would be? Sure i could upgrade myself but maybe i am worried of making that one mistake and ruin the entire thing. (trust me with my luck, that is what would happen).

I was going to buy the new 2015 macbook pro retina but i think upgrading the hell out of my current macbook and having apple do it would be so much easier and cheaper obviously.

So what do you all think? A SSD drive and 16 gb of ram?

2. Isamilis macrumors 6502

SSD - most of the case will boost performance.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Upgrading the SSD is a cakewalk, it's really easy.

Get a Samsung 850 Evo or a Crucial MX100/200. They're both pretty good.

4. mibtp macrumors newbie

SSD vs Ram?

Is upgrading the SSD different than upgrading the Ram?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Of course. They're two completely separate and different components.

6. mibtp macrumors newbie

I'll have to check it out for my slow/crashing MBP Mid-2012 that I was told to add ram to.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Both incredibly easy

Just open the bottom with a screwdriver and swap out the components. Apple won't do the SSD for you unless your computer came with one and their markup on ram is outrageous.

Any Computer shop can exchange those components for you in a few minutes. Order your own components (Amazon is cheap and Crucial RAM and MX100 SSD's recommended) and get a computer shop to do it or order the screw drivers for a few dollars and do it yourself.

iFixit has guides for everything
    RAM

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+RAM+Replacement/10374

SSD

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Hard+Drive+Replacement/10378