MacBook Pro 13 2016 Battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lasniko, Mar 24, 2017.

1. lasniko macrumors member

Hi there,

I will buy a new MacBook 13 2016 (no touch bar) and I would like to ask a question about the battery health.

I will use it plugged in at least for 8 hours at work.

I 've heard that once every two weeks it would be good to use the battery (till 80/70% I guess).

My question is that after the work I want to take the MacBook with me and keep it in my backpack till the next day without using it. Is this ok for the battery or should I leave it plugged in till the next day?

Thank you

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Use it as you normally would and don't worry. Of course it's always best to put it on charge where you can, just to avoid too many cycles on the battery. However it's nothing you need to actively be concerned about, or anything you need to monitor.

There are so many myths about overcharging, undercharging, cycling the battery -- they're all rubbish. Just use your laptop how you feel fit. Batteries will always deplete naturally with time and there's very little you can do to ebb the flow.

3. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your answer.

So if I shut down the laptop (plugged in) and take it with me, that counts as a cycle?

Yes, I think I will use it as it feels because, I won't enjoy the machine after all. :)

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

A cycle is when it drains from 100% down to 0%. For instance, if you drain it to 50%, then top it back up to 100%, that's half a cycle. Then next time you drain to 50% and top back up, that additional half a cycle will then register as one full cycle.

But honestly there's no need for concern. Just use it how you want. You won't notice a difference with 90% 'health' anyway. A lot of people here obsess about battery health or cycles and all it does is make them paranoid and means they don't enjoy the machine.

Be happy with the purchase. You've got a really, really desirable computer and if the battery fails in 3 years, Apple will sort it out for free (providing you have AppleCare). :)

5. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

The last month I use the MacBook Pro 2016 13 inch (non touch bar) as a desktop replacement, which means 24 hours plugged in clamshell mode using external monitor. Is this ok for the battery?

Regards.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't hurt it at all as it is designed for this. I leave mine plugged in in clamshell mode weeks at at a time. I had a 2014 rMBP I used in clamshell probably 95% of the time and the battery was just fine when I sold it.