Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uddername

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
So i've downloaded SMC Fan Control and iStatistica, and both softwares tell me that my fans are at 000rpm. They're not rotating.
Temperatures aren't too high, they're around mid fifties degrees when watching/browsing the net. Will the fans kick in when they need to? It's just that never in any of the non-retina macbooks i've had have the fans not been spinning at some point, unless there's a problem.

Also, battery life on full brightness, browsing the net is 3-4 hours max. Is this good enough? Should i complain?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Open terminal and type

yes > /dev/null &

That will load one core to 100 % you should hear the fans speed up.

To add more load do the command again.

To stop it type

$ killall yes

xapp

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
App Store
I noticed the same thing, initially I though that API is broken and it doesn't show anything, but apparently fans kick in at lowest rpm only at 55-60* degrees.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
So i've downloaded SMC Fan Control and iStatistica, and both softwares tell me that my fans are at 000rpm. They're not rotating.
Temperatures aren't too high, they're around mid fifties degrees when watching/browsing the net. Will the fans kick in when they need to? It's just that never in any of the non-retina macbooks i've had have the fans not been spinning at some point, unless there's a problem.

Also, battery life on full brightness, browsing the net is 3-4 hours max. Is this good enough? Should i complain?

They've been like this since 2014. It's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.