MacBook Pro 13" 2016 - TB or non-TB for two external monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by janky7, Dec 16, 2016.

1. janky7 macrumors newbie

I am currently planning on getting a 2016 MacBook Pro 13". However, I have not decided on getting the TB or non-TB version.
    The machine should be primarily used for C/C++/Python programming using Xcode, as well as bash and LaTeX. Also, it will be (less frequently) used for Mathematica and PowerPoint/Keynote.

At work, the machine should be connected to two Dell Full HD 23" monitors (one connection using DVI, one using DisplayPort) while still using the internal monitor.
    Also, I need to connect the MacBook to USB 3.0 for an external hard drive, while still being able to charge it at the same time. Keyboard and Trackpad are connected using Bluetooth. If possible (not necessarily required), I would like to connect the MacBook to the internal network using Ethernet.

Will the 2 USB C ports of the non-TB MacBook Pro 13" suffice for the above mentioned use case?

2. Typh macrumors newbie

I´m not 100% sure it works but in one port you could use Apples AV adapter with 1 USB-C, 1 HDMI and 1 USB and in the other port a hub that contains both Ethenet and DisplayPort. I havent seen any of those around but should probably be somewhere. So in theory it should work with the non tb version.

i have the non tb version with 2 USB-C ports and thats the only regret i have, that there is only 2 ports....

3. kb3uru macrumors newbie

kb3uru

Im using the non tb version running 2 monitors using two Digital Av adapters.. If you don't mind being dongle happy than get the non tb.. Im patiently waiting for the thunderbolt 3 technology to be good enough to run two monitors through 1 port. But if you want to be on the safe side get the touch bar. Even if you don't use the extra ports, they're there if you need them..plus you get a slightly better processor with better internal graphics.