Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
TLDR; Computer wouldn’t charge. Now charges after 2 months? HOW!?

Ok let me preface this story by saying I am a database administrator and been working with computers all my life. I can’t explain this. Also, let me preface this by saying that I’ve had Apple products since 2000, and this has never happened before.

Ok, so I have a MacBook Pro 13” Touch Bar (the first one, Late 2016 model). It’s an absolute beast, 512gb SSD, and 16GB RAM. I loved it. I loved it to death. It is my work computer and everything.

Ok, so everything was running great, and no problems. At the end of April, like April 20th or something, I bring the computer downstairs to start work. I have a LG 4K monitor, and I try to use it but my computer is not powering on. So I unplug the monitor, and grab the original power adapter and plug it in. It shows 0% In the battery section. Then it shows 1%. But it never goes past 1%. So I’m like uh oh something is wrong. So I try to reset the SMC, the PRAM, etc. Nope, not working. Now all of a sudden, the computer just shuts off. And I can’t turn it back on, and it’s not “dinging” when I plug in the power adapter like it normally does. We are in the midst of the pandemic, so I’ve been working for home. I run to my job, have them open up the building for me, and grab my power adapter at work. Bring it home, nothing. Not working.

So computer, in my eyes is dead. But I figure, let me check the power adapters with my wife’s 12” MacBook. Power adapters work, no problem. So I figured, let me try the outlet upstairs just in case. Nope. I left the computer plugged in for a LONG time. Nothing. Not turning on.

Now, in the meantime, my work gets me a new computer (16” MacBook Pro, because this was before the 2020 13”’s were released, and I didn’t want to get the butterfly keyboard again even though I realized I actually like it). Also, the 16” is way too big and the battery life for my type of work isn’t great, so I‘m a bit disappointed in it, although I’m sure it’s a great computer for a lot of people.

Anyhow, yesterday I decided, you know what, let me plug in the 16” Power Adapter into the 13” MacBook. What do you know “DING”!? WHAT?! How is this possible? Charges to 100% no problem. Bring it downstairs this morning, plug in the original power adapter that wasn’t working, “DING”! How? Why?

So to summarize, it looks like everything is working, but I’m a bit nervous about it, wondering if this might happen again, etc.

Thanks

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Did you check to see something was blocking the connectors? I've seen tons of lint and dust build up in the ports and gunk on inside the USB-C connectors. Grab a can of compressed air and blow out those ports. Also it's worth noting that Apple supplied cables/chargers are somewhat finicky as they get older. Get yourself a good quality braided cable from Amazon.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Did you check to see something was blocking the connectors? I've seen tons of lint and dust build up in the ports and gunk on inside the USB-C connectors. Grab a can of compressed air and blow out those ports. Also it's worth noting that Apple supplied cables/chargers are somewhat finicky as they get older. Get yourself a good quality braided cable from Amazon.

I had one amazon cable. And I tried all 4 ports. It just doesn’t make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.