Macbook pro 13"(2016) vs Surface book (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenz1980, Mar 11, 2017.

1. kenz1980 macrumors newbie

Good morning,

I've recently moved from a 2014 MacBook pro to a SB and its great. However, I cant help feeling like I'm missing out on using a mac again, its simplicity, ease of use and honestly the 2016 version looks sleek.

I also have an iPhone and apple watch so going to the MacBook pro 2016 seems ideal as well, on the other hand the functionality - clipboard, pen etc is neat on the SB too.

So a few questions finally about the MP 2016 - how is the battery life for every day things like browsing, streaming videos, productivity work(office, ppt) and is the reliability of the new macs an issue? It seems like many are complaining(or vocal) about the keys, software glitches etc.

Basically any input about the 2016 macs(13") or any input from people that have recently used both would be great. I'm still in the return window for the Surface Book and just want to make the right choice as I will have the computer for several years. Thanks!

2. leman macrumors 604

In a nutshell, Surface Book sacrifices CPU performance and form factor to achieve better battery life and better GPU performance. Surprisingly, Surface Book (just like all Surface series products) also does not offer any high-speed "pro"-level connectivity, which makes it less suitable for people who need that kind of stuff.

Its really about what you need. If you prefer using OS X and/or want a light, slim, all-purpose laptop, MBP is a great choice. If you want to have the 2-in-1 functionality or need a faster GPU (e.g. for some on-the-side gaming) and don't mind the additional thickness of the Surface Book, its a great machine as well.

3. pika2000 macrumors 68030

If your concern is battery life, then the non-touch bar Macbook Pro should fit the bill.
    For your usage, in the end to me it's about whether you want touch screen or not. The rest of the specs of both are not that significant for your usage scenario.

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

[​IMG]

:D

But if you had to keep only one, I say go with the Macbook. Better integration with your other Apple devices.

5. StlCards80 macrumors member

StlCards80

I've got the touch bar 13" and get 6-8 hours with solid use. I tested every possible laptop before getting this one and couldn't be happier.

6. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

You don't look happy.

7. StlCards80 macrumors member

StlCards80

I'm great as long as you stay off my lawn.

8. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Ditto to what Leman said :

However I note the "Pro" comment is referring higher/better speed of the tbMBP 13 it's not like the SB cannot drive 2x4K monitors just only at 30Hz for example

Similarly you could argue SB is a better "all-purpose" as its far more than just a clamshell design

Your IPhone (other than answering calls) should work fine with the SB ie messages, missed calls, Icloud, bookmarks, photos, contacts and ITunes will synch etc. Just install ICloud for windows and ITunes.