Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mungo918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Hi

I am looking at getting a macbook pro 13.3" and I will use it for browsing the internet, watching movies and basic word docs, usually at the same time :p

I am wondering if I could keep the basic set up of 2GB ram and 160Gb HD and this set up will complete my needs without any trouble.

can anyone give me a bit of first hand experience on this?

many thanks.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
If you are at university, buy it on the HE store and you get an extended warranty for free!

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
Hi

I am looking at getting a macbook pro 13.3" and I will use it for browsing the internet, watching movies and basic word docs, usually at the same time :p

I am wondering if I could keep the basic set up of 2GB ram and 160Gb HD and this set up will complete my needs without any trouble.

can anyone give me a bit of first hand experience on this?

many thanks.

I don't have the new MacBook Pro, but I've got a year old white MacBook that will run that without flinching. You'd be surprised at how much a Mac can handle. For example, here is what I'm running:

on a 21" screen (I'm dual monitoring):

-Firefox
-iTunes
-Adium (MSN client)
-Camoflauge (hides icons)
-Caffeine

then on the 13" screen...

-Parallels Desktop running Windows 7 full screen
-Steam
-Internet Explorer

And I don't notice any lag. I do have 4GB of RAM, but only 144 video ram (MBP has 256) and I've got less processing speed.

In other words, the 2GB will be fine. If you want to upgrade to 4GB, do it yourself from the sponsored sellers (ads above) for something like sixty bucks. Its very easy to do also.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

I have a very nearly 3-year-old MacBook with 1 Gb of RAM that will do all that without trouble. The MBP you're looking at won't flinch. Enjoy your purchase. :D

JCP21

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
It will be perfect for you
signature_apple-12.jpg

mungo918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for you responses, with it in mind that "it won't flinch" with what I want to do, would it be an over indulgence and could the standard white macbook perform my needs? and therefore save a bit of money?

I'm currently using an ASUS C905 with windows XP and recently I've been having problems with it and don't think it will last much longer...

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Thanks for you responses, with it in mind that "it won't flinch" with what I want to do, would it be an over indulgence and could the standard white macbook perform my needs? and therefore save a bit of money?

I'm currently using an ASUS C905 with windows XP and recently I've been having problems with it and don't think it will last much longer...
I think the normal MacBook will do fine, but keep in mind that there are tons of rumors that Apple is about to update the normal MacBook. ;)

mungo918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
any idea how soon? if thats the case, I'll probably wait and see what comes out.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I downgraded from a high end 15" MBP (2.8 ghz, 4 GB RAM) to a low end 13" low end MBP (2.26 GHZ, 2GB RAM) and I honestly cannot tell you I notice a difference in everyday activities. It handles HD movies on youtube without a hitch, which my old MBA would stutter with. It's a great value machine. Use the extra money to get an SSD for ever better performance.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal

Yeah, the standard white MacBook could do everything in the OP.

What does that have to do with this thread?

...maybe because he's looking at buying a MacBook?!?!

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

Any computer, no matter who makes it, is more powerful now (by comparison) than it will be in three years.

Sure, you could save some money today and buy the MB, and it will work just fine for you. I don't think you'll have any problems. But in a couple of years, will you be just as happy then as you would be on Day 1 of your purchase? I'm not sure I can answer that for you.

If it were me, the extra couple of hundred dollars would be worth spending now; that's my opinion, and it's easy for me to say because we're talking about your money and not mine. :D I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the performance you get either way you go, however.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
Any computer, no matter who makes it, is more powerful now (by comparison) than it will be in three years.

Sure, you could save some money today and buy the MB, and it will work just fine for you. I don't think you'll have any problems. But in a couple of years, will you be just as happy then as you would be on Day 1 of your purchase? I'm not sure I can answer that for you.

If it were me, the extra couple of hundred dollars would be worth spending now; that's my opinion, and it's easy for me to say because we're talking about your money and not mine. :D I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the performance you get either way you go, however.

QFT.

It's known that when you go to buy a Mac, spend as much as you can afford and buy the best possible. This changes depending on who you are and how long you want to keep this for. Over a year, I'd opt for the higher spec'd MBP.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
QFT.

It's known that when you go to buy a Mac, spend as much as you can afford and buy the best possible. This changes depending on who you are and how long you want to keep this for. Over a year, I'd opt for the higher spec'd MBP.

Why do the specs matter? They rarely improve everyday performance and are a waste of money to most consumers. Based on the needs of the OP, anything more than the baseline 13" MBP would be a waste.

mungo918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
with the upgraded macbook having almost the same spec (in some places better) do you think a macbook would be better suited to me? I don't use FW and rarely use an SD card in which case I'd get an SD to USB for cheaper. what do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.