Macbook Pro 13.3 retina freezes: keep it or ditch it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by converttomac?, Jun 12, 2014.

1. converttomac? macrumors newbie

So, I'm new to Apple. Returned a new pc because of frustration with Windows 8.1. A couple weeks ago I purchased a new 13.3 pro retina at best buy. First one locked up a few hours out of the box. I'm guessing it's the well-documented track pad problem. Beach ball just freezes, and after closing the cover for a few minutes, it unfreezes. My wife (more tech oriented than me) brought it to the genius bar, where they feigned ignorance of the problem and told her to return it to best buy for a new computer. She did so. Second one, a day out of the box, same thing. Froze up, close lid and let it sleep, unfreezes. Wife called apple support, which again feigned ignorance of any such problems, told her to do a couple things and it should be fine. She did what they said. Next day, which is today, it freezes up. Close lid, let it sleep, and it's fine. Not a real practical solution for work computer, and I expect more for my $1500 investment.

So, here's my question(s): First, how can Apple continue to plead ignorance and fail to offer a fix for this problem? I've read a hundred threads and some articles documenting it. Second, now that this has happened on two new, out of the box computers, I'm skeptical about number three. The best buy had some of the older model 13.3's with a cd drive. Do I ditch the new retina's for an older model or maybe just try to buy one direct from an Apple Store hoping that maybe Apple has supplied best buy with older 13.3 retinas that do not include a fix, but have stocked their own stores with books that are free of the problem. Ugh.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Can you take the freezing system to the Apple Store and demonstrate the problem to the employees there? Perhaps they will swap it out for a new one.

3. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

While that's a great idea in theory, well all know that's it's near impossible to get something to intentionally malfunction when it's in the verge of being repaired/replaced. lol.

With that said, that actually isn't a bad idea. Get it in a working state, and then take it in. Wait for it to eff up, and then show them your solution. That's what I would do.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Are you sure it is not a problem with some software that you have installed?

I have been reading MR for the past 6 months and cannot recall any known issue like that.

Barney

5. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

6. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

7. chrfr macrumors 603

There was a firmware update several months ago that resolved the trackpad/keyboard problem, so any computer you're buying today almost certainly has had the update already. If yours is freezing, get it exchanged for a different computer. If you haven't run Software Update and installed all the relevant updates, try that first.

8. psik macrumors 6502

Return it....but purchase another instead.. Do not use warranty return and a brand new one from apple. Alternatively wait for top

9. converttomac? thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife just got off the phone with Apple support. Finally got a senior tech support person on the phone who acknowledged it is still an ongoing problem. I'm not a computer person, but the way I understand it, is that the patch that Apple created to fix the problem can only be installed on 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 and the computer we got has been updated to 10.9.3 which, unfortunately, does not include any patch for the problem. Apple is working on a patch for 10.9.3 and it will be available at some point in the future. So, back to the Apple genius to wipe the computer, install the old version and get the old patch. Apple is hoping that works.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

This sounds like the phone technician is reaching for an answer. I have about 5 of these in service at work, no freezing on any of them. Two were early ones which needed the firmware update (and were freezing before then) and the others did not need it.
    This is the firmware update: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1704 You can try to run it without risk of damaging anything.
    You can verify if yours has already had the update by following these instructions:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237
    You will want to verify that yours has Boot ROM version MBP111.0138.B03.

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Why don't you buy one from Apple?

I have a 13" MBPr and it is working great. It has none of the problems you mentioned.

So if you end up returning it thinking they're all like that then you will be missing out

I have a feeling if you buy one from the Apple store your experience will be different.

Also make sure you're not using a keyboard cover as that can make your computer freeze from overheating. Not in the 13" but 15"

12. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I might sound a bit cynical. However, I agree with Barney63, have you checked any incompatible softwares you are installing?

While you claim it is a known issue, I have not read anything resembling this either. BUT, I can relate that you might have gotten a dud. However, when the second, different, NEW, laptop is experiencing the same problem, have you considered that the only common denominator between the 2 computers is.....the user?

My suggestion is to wipe it, and NOT install anything, and see if problem persists. Then install one program at a time. Or just return it, because if it is a firmware issue, and apple acknowledges it, but has no solution, then you are going to be experiencing that problem for an unspecified amount of time. Sorry...

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd try backing up your data, and doing a clean install, I agree, it does sound like some incompatible software. Maybe 10.9.3 is the cause but many of us have that on our Macs and it hasn't caused any issues.

14. converttomac?, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

converttomac? thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty much bare bones except for microsoft office for apple, and I use firefox and skype. We are taking it to the genius store to wipe it and do a new install.