MacBook Pro 13.3 unibody screen broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by condorian, Oct 9, 2009.

1. condorian macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought one of these via ebay and in negotiaton with the seller. Since this is my first foray into the macworld, i'd like to know from the people here with tech knowledge what's possibly broken. The screen broke during the transportation.

I've posted some pics of what is happening.

http://eaglenest.homelinux.org/brokenlaptop/photo.jpg
    http://eaglenest.homelinux.org/brokenlaptop/photo2.jpg
    http://eaglenest.homelinux.org/brokenlaptop/photo3.jpg

I'd like an idea of whats broken. The LCD...the electronics..etc ?

thanks
    condorian

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The LCD panel is generally the most expensive component of a laptop. You will end up spending 600 to 800 dollars to replace it. I'd not negotiate with the buyer but get your money back and let him deal with getting the postal carrier to refund him.

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

That doesn't look pretty at all...

If you were to DIY it, you'll most likely need a whole new LCD assembly which you can find on ifixit.com for $599.

You also would have lost your apple care cover because of the physical damage, so that reduces the value of your laptop further.

If I were you, I'd return it to the seller and let him deal with claiming the money back from the shipping company. I hope he used insured shipping!

Fabian

4. condorian thread starter macrumors newbie

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

GENERALLY.

If that's the macbook prior to the upgrade, it is the piece of **** LP133WX2. This panel is junk, and shouldn't be more than $150 for one.

If newer, then a B133EW04 V.0 or one of equivalent quality, closer to $275 for one.

The glass is broken too. Unless you have your own made, it'll be $115/pc with shipping.

You shouldn't have to spend that money. The seller is responsible for getting it to you in one piece.

As for ifixit, that is a bad idea. There are tons of services for $350-$500 that will repair it for you. That is less than the cost ifixit sells the part for. What is the point of fixing it yourself when someone else can do it for you for less than you can yourself? I don't get how they stay in business.

6. condorian thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the unibody version.

I'm from Greece and here due to lack of demand we don't have Apple as such here, but rather a company that represents them. I dont have a problem buying the part and installing it myself.

Other than ifixit is there any other place that sells these parts with the condition that they ship internationally?

The buyer wants to refund me 100GBP which i promptly refused. Its Elecronic Inc.

From what i can gather the glass doesnt seem broken nor does the front of the LCD. The damage must be behind the LCD. The electronics, bluetooth and wireless are on the LCD or can be detached somehow?

In the end i fear this whole mess, i could have just bought the thing locally:(

thanks for your suggestions

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Replacing the entire top part is a waste of money.

Fight to get your money back, and if that doesn't work, I can guide you through the process of getting a working screen put in yourself via PM.

8. jamesr242 macrumors member

Dude, you need to file a paypal claim NOW to get your money back. I think you have 45 days to do this BTW. As a matter of fact, I would first file a chargeback on the credit card you used. Then file a paypal claim too. The seller is obviously an idiot or a liar (i.e. he didn't package it properly or it was already broken).

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Replacing the top half of the computer is almost as much $$$ as buying a new one, depending if you got the high end or the low end model.

10. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Definitely fight to get your money back. Either directly with the seller or if they are being awkward through PayPal.

AnDy

11. condorian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It seems i have two options.
    - According to paypal if i ship the item back to the seller i can get a full refund provided it gets signed on delivery
    - Try and repair the screen myself. Found a buyer that can sell the LCD.

I'm just afraid that if i go for the second option and i find something that needs replacing, then the cost will creep up.

I'm going to ship the laptop back and maybe order one from AmazonUK for safetysake:)

thanks

12. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Please go for the first option.

And keep checking out eBay/CraigList/Apple Refurb Store for other good deals in the near future!

AnDy

13. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Definitely go with the first option. Not worth the hassle, plus you don't know what else is wrong with the laptop other than just the broken screen. Paypal is very very good about this sort of thing, and I'd take them up on the refund.

In the future, too, I'd think very seriously about insuring packages of certain value if you haven't already!