Macbook Pro 13.3in Without TouchBar works for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CatherineVeraGat, Jun 13, 2017.

1. CatherineVeraGat Suspended

I'm thinking of buying the 2017 entry-level Macbook Pro 13.3in Without TouchBar (256GB). I don't know if I should upgrade things like the processor, memory, and storage when I order it online.

On the Macbook Pro I will be doing some
    - Light to Heavy web browsing
    - Photoshop
    - Illustrator
    - Light 2D/3D rendering (CAD rendering)
    - Light architecture programs (Floor plans, or designing houses.)

Which processor do I need?
    - 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    - 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i7

How much storage would you recommend?
    - 256GB SSD
    - 512GB SSD
    - 1TB SSD

How much memory would you recommend?
    - 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3
    - 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3

Is this powerful enough for graphics?
    - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640

My budget is $1,499 but I can go up to $2,000 if it meet all my needs. Will the 2017 entry-level Macbook Pro 13.3in Without TouchBar (256GB) work for me?

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Absolutely get the 16 GB RAM, especially if you like to have 2+ of those apps open at the same time (I always do and 8 GB will go fast).

If you are doing a lot with images in PS you probably want 512 GB storage but it depends. 256 will be enough for a while but you'll probably fill it up before you upgrade to a new one. If you're processing super high-res images for print, you might need 1 TB but otherwise you're probably OK with 512. You can also utilize cloud storage (like iCloud Drive) to keep older files around that don't necessarily have to live on your computer but will download as needed.

Get the i7 if you can afford it but honestly it's probably not going to make a huge difference unless you're doing some kind of continuous processing, like After Effects rendering, in which case you'd want a quad-core CPU anyway. In general, the i5 is totally fine for Photoshop and Illustrator.

Personally I would recommend the 2.3 GHz i5 NTB with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, based on your requirements and budget. That's the exact machine I just ordered and what I'm doing with it is similar to you but adding Xcode. $1900.