Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naelamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Recently I bought a MACBOOK PRO 13" , once i open it it starts with 40C processor temprature, hitting 70 after sometime and stays there, and when I run an application it hits 80-90C ?! is this normal!!! whats the maximum temprature of my 2.53 processor!! Im afraid I will lose it soon :confused:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
those temperatures seem quite normal..

what processes are going on at these times?? (use Activity Monitor to find out and tell us).

the MB has a very small frame, and heat management is very hard.. those temperatures are high, but still quite safe. the CPU is made to withstand at least 110°C+, although it might effect the longevity of the machine if its kept like that for prolonged periods (say longer then a month at a time lol).

naelamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
a month :rolleyes: lol

well I checked my activity monitor, my CPU is almost have 0% processes, only my mouse trail application takes a 15% all the time, and if i close it the Temp drops down to 54 almost, but if you guys say 110C+ then I can keep my trail I think :D

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
My MBP 13" does the same, I've got it as high as 110, with the fans at 2001rpm, before the fans start revving up! after a while the whole has cooled down and the fans then get back at 2001rpm and stay there.
It's odd, but it seems normal behaviour.

naelamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Im happy to hear that i feel safe now lol
macbook pro 13 with 110C and cool fan I think that rocks :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
those temperatures seem quite normal..
Huh?

They in no way seem normal. Unless I'm running handbrake and the fans are "stuck" at 2k my MBP never approaches 70c. I'd recommend to the OP that if this is his typical running temps w/o anything overly intensive, i.e., running handbrake then he should call apple support.

My MBP typically runs between 47 to 55c

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
Recently I bought a MACBOOK PRO 13" , once i open it it starts with 40C processor temprature, hitting 70 after sometime and stays there, and when I run an application it hits 80-90C ?! is this normal!!! whats the maximum temprature of my 2.53 processor!! Im afraid I will lose it soon :confused:

I’m experiencing the same thing.

I think the “problem” is that the fans (are there 1 or 2?) stay at 2k until 85*C+

On most windows based laptops I’ve used, the fans will rev big time as soon as the CPU hits ~55*C

So my thinking is that Apple deliberately set the fans to stay at slower speeds longer to keep the laptop quite.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
"Good" to hear... I got mine back today from the repair shop after I returned it because of this same heat issue. Mine is over 70 at idle as well, goes over 100 during extreme load. The technicians thought it was a DOA so they replaced the logic board (twice) but same problem. They escalated it to Apple and they said it is normal and acceptable for the MBP 13" to go over 100. Previous MBP's shut off automatically at 90.

Coolbook and smcfancontrol will help though, it's a must on this model. Are the 2.26GHz this hot as well? My unibody Macbook 2.4 was much much cooler.

MrPeanut

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
West Yorkshire, UK
I dont think the temp results you're getting are abnormal, I get 80 degrees C+ when running intensive apps and i have a speck case on. I wouldnt worry about it too much, laptops are known to get pretty hot.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Having a temperature above 60 degrees C when not running any tasks IS NOT NORMAL. Your laptop should NEVER get above 85 degrees C.

Hard drives aren't meant to handle high temperatures and will have their lifespans decreased significantly. RAM can handle the heat a bit better, but still can't handle high temperatures.

For some of you, simply downloading a fan control application will fix the overheating problem, but you really need get your computer replaced if you are reaching temps of 90-100 degrees C or above.

Don't use keyboard covers as these block heat dissipation through the keyboard.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
There seems to be a lack of consensus on this topic. Anyone have a definite answer that is more than just their opinion?

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
We are talking CPU temperature, my HD temp is 34 and enclosure temps are all in lower 30's. The cooling system works obviously, it's just the CPU that is warm.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
There seems to be a lack of consensus on this topic. Anyone have a definite answer that is more than just their opinion?

In comes down to the fans really.

More speed = More noise

However, More speed = Less heat

It's your choice

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Having a temperature above 60 degrees C when not running any tasks IS NOT NORMAL. Your laptop should NEVER get above 85 degrees C.

Hard drives aren't meant to handle high temperatures and will have their lifespans decreased significantly. RAM can handle the heat a bit better, but still can't handle high temperatures.

For some of you, simply downloading a fan control application will fix the overheating problem, but you really need get your computer replaced if you are reaching temps of 90-100 degrees C or above.

Don't use keyboard covers as these block heat dissipation through the keyboard.

Keyboard covers make a practically no difference. I have a cover on my Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro. The cover never gets hot, and the temps are within 1 degree when its on or off (I did a test).

crushedlizard

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
my 13" reached 98C after a few mins of Handbrake. I aborted it.
I've since downloaded SMC and so get about 74C under Handbrake load.

I don't think 100C is acceptable at all, let alone 110C. As far as I'm aware, the critical temp for C2D (inc mobile) is 100C so to let the CPU reach 98C is taking the p**s really isn't it?.

SMC style app should ship with MBPs, or Apple should patch their controller.

My Idle temp is 47C with fans @ 3k. So although good thermal paste would make a difference, I doubt it's being applied with a hose like the old MBPs. I think 47C idle is acceptable for a laptop with vents obstructed by the screen hinge.

naelamer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
even when my CPU temprature hits 85 or 90 SMC still shows a 3000RPM fan speed, which I believe it means those tempratures are normal for the CPU, I dont think APPLE didnt put those laptops in long term tests at their labs..
Maybe the best thing is to uninstall SMC so our eyes stay away of observing the CPU temp lol and let the laptop works as its made!! :D

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
even when my CPU temprature hits 85 or 90 SMC still shows a 3000RPM fan speed, which I believe it means those tempratures are normal for the CPU, I dont think APPLE didnt put those laptops in long term tests at their labs..
Maybe the best thing is to uninstall SMC so our eyes stay away of observing the CPU temp lol and let the laptop works as its made!! :D

Yeah I agree with you there. The laptop was not created for the end user to sit and obsess about temperatures.

DdMac679

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
United States
For sh*t and giggles I decided to install iStat Pro and see how my current temps were running on the 13" MBP. At any given time my cpu idles about 52C and when running Warcraft III for 30-40 minutes it rises to about 75C with the fans just shy of 5000 RPM. There is a slight warmth over the HDD but other than that I see no issues.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Installing coconut battery = obsessing over charge capacity/cycles

Installing iStat pro = obsessing over temps/fan speed

Ignorance is bliss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.