Macbook Pro 13 accessories

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crimton, Sep 22, 2011.

1. crimton macrumors member

Sorry if there is an accessories section that I have missed but I just ordered my first MBP and I need to know if there are any must have accessories I should get. I don't think I will need extra RAM right now and I have a carrying case it will fit in.

2. crimton thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but I was more looking for the opinions of MBP owners, not apple. I will check it out though. More specifically, is there a recommended cover for the whole laptop to protect the chassis from scratches?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You said you missed the accessories section. That's how to find it.

4. crimton thread starter macrumors member

No. I meant an accessories section of this forum that we are both on right now. Thanks for the effort I will just do some googling. I thought someone here might have some friendly advice for a new mac owner. Thanks again

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

depending on your usage, perhaps an external monitor and a DVI-mini DP adapter.

7. crimton thread starter macrumors member

8. crimton thread starter macrumors member

I settled on a Speck hard shell case. It had pretty good reviews.

9. Risasi macrumors 6502

You might also want to check out the Booq Vyper sleeve. I suppose about 80% of the time I just walk out the door for work carrying my 13" MBP in it and a magsafe power adapter stuffed in my pants pocket (usually wearing cargo slacks). By weight I usually carry less crap than my co-workers with 13" Macbook Airs in their messenger bags.

The one thing I wish they would add to upscale sleeves is a D-ring for throwing a lanyard or carry strap on them...

10. crimton thread starter macrumors member

Those look pretty slick. I don't want to go crazy on accessories too quick, but I did want to make sure it has at least some protection right from the get go. I guess I will just see how it goes the first few weeks and what I think I may need or use. I really have no idea what to expect, I have never owned a mac or a laptop of this size (aside from my 11 in cr-48 chromebook that I never use).

11. Risasi macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had to buy the MBP 13" under duress. My Dell failed me and after a week with no computer I just bit the bullet and bought the MBP. Embarrassing especially since I'm in IT. This computer has been great. I wish it had a better graphics processor, but it's still good.

I started slow on the accessories, and honestly kept to a minimum. I kept my old port bag, then bought this Booq. It's been pretty decent to me and I no longer feel the need to buy a MacBook Air. Like I said, most days I roll out the door with just the MBP in it's sleeve and my power pack in the pocket. Less is more. Pick your purchases carefully, buy what you like...

Sent from remote...

12. crimton thread starter macrumors member

So is the HD 3000 so bad that it's that noticeable? I have a new Asus with the same i5 and intel HD 3000 graphics and the graphics seem great on it. I would only guess they would be at least as good on my Mac if not better.

13. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Unless you're doing intense gaming you won't know the difference between the HD 3000 and any other video card.

14. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i just received this case (and color) in the mail today and love it. my MBP 15" fits like a glove. i first saw it at bestbuy but of course they only have it in all black. i checked out incases' website and ordered. its a great carrying case and looks slick with plenty of space to carry things.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-sling-sleeve-cl57736

[​IMG]

15. Risasi macrumors 6502

It's not great by any means, compared to a dedicated card. But I was still pleasantly surprised. Only for gaming will it really matter. I actually managed to get Shogun 2: Total War running smoothly on low settings (but the heat build-up will keep me from actually playing it). No biggie, I'll just stick to games a few years old...

I would say for probably 9 out of 10 average users it's more than adequate.

16. waitsui macrumors newbie

I'd personally been using the Speck SeeTru clear cover right from the get go. That's because I saw President Obama using the same cover before :p

And I have my MBP 15" on the mStand (the sickest looking stand I've ever seen) if I'm working long hour by the machine. Definitely get a stand and an external monitor if you want to work more comfortably on your MBP.