Macbook Pro 13" and CS5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by vince217, Jan 17, 2012.

1. vince217 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking towards upgrading my wife's 2008 13" Macbook with a newer model, specifically one that can handle Adobe Photoshop CS5 with no problems.

She likes to edit photos and add layers / textures to them. She does not do 3d graphics or heavy video editing.

I'm currently looking at the base Macbook Pro 13". Will this be sufficient, or should I go for the 15" with the quad core and dedicated graphics card? Screen size is not an issue since she already works with a 13" screen and just plan on buying an external monitor if she wants to work with a bigger screen, so its really the internals I'm concerned with.

thanks in advance for any replies! :)

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It might just need more RAM. I've got a 2009 Aluminum MacBook I use Photoshop CS5 (as well as Aperture and iMovie...) which runs just fine. I've got 8GB of RAM. Yours might be upgradable to 6.

A new Macbook Pro 13" would certainly have no problems, with sufficient memory. I don't think the graphics processor matters with Photoshop (it does with Aperture).

3. george315 macrumors newbie

Yeah, it will be sufficient. I'm using a Core i5 Macbook Pro 13inch (Early 2011), and photoshop cs5 works great.

4. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Agreed! I have 6GB in my 2009 (2.26Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) 13" MBP and run Photoshop CS5 on it all the time. For the most part, I have no problems editing my RAW photos, running actions, etc. :)

A new computer though should run fine (though again, more RAM would always help)!

5. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

The GPU barely matters much in Photoshop, technically, the GPU memory amount counts more than GPU power.

6. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I use a core 2 duo 13" pro w/ Cs5 and final cut pro x run smooth. Max out the ram that made a big difference for me.

7. rebby macrumors 6502

I run CS5 on my MBA and it works just fine. Sure, I don't do any huge edits on it but for 80% of my workflow, the MBA gets the job done w/out any problems.

Max out the RAM and maybe even add an SSD to your existing MBP and you should be just fine.

8. vince217 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies!

based on the advice, i will see how much memory i can add to the current Macbook (it is not a Pro, it is the white polycarbonate one), and use a trial version of Photoshop CS5 to see how it runs (my wife currently uses Lightroom with no problems).

if that doesn't work out, ill probably get a refurbised 13" Macbook Pro (feb 11 release, $929++ from Apple store), then max it out with 8gb RAM.

9. rebby macrumors 6502

Fixed it for you. :D 16GB can easily be obtained for <$150 now.