Macbook Pro 13" and iMac 27" ,Mid 2010, Memory/RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattfrancis, May 28, 2012.

1. mattfrancis macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've got a few quick questions:

-I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook Pro's Memory (Mid 2010, 13") from 2 x 2GB to 2 x 4GB will this help when running heaps of apps at one time (safari, iTunes, Handbrake, etc.) and help to reduce the incidence of the colourful spinning wheel?

-If it will, is this the sort of thing i should be looking for?
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Notebook-KTA-MB1066K2-8G/dp/B001PS9UKW

-Also I thought while I'm at it I'd replace dad's memory too. He's got a Mid 2010 iMac 27" running 2 x 2GB and I'm looking to simply add another 2 x 2GB. Is this a going to help with the above problem and the addition of running windows parallel?

-If it will, is this a decent one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Valu...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338259773&sr=1-1

Cheers,

Matt

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

More RAM will certainly help those problems, without a doubt. If you want to make sure though, when running the computers at normal use, open activity monitor and see what your page outs is at. If that number is high you will definitely benefit from more RAM.

As far as the RAM you posted goes; both are the right ones as far as I can tell however the second one (for the iMac) worries me slightly more. For one, it's only 1 stick which means you'll lose dual channel (I would suggest if you want just another 4GB to add a 2x2GB kit) and it doesn't have a speed listed. iMac RAM should be 1333MHz.

Personally for my RAM needs I usually use newegg.com. Compatible RAM links for both the macbook and iMac are:

Macbook Pro
    iMac

Personally my suggestion as well would be to put an extra 8GB (2x4GB) into the iMac rather than 4GB because that way you get to 12GB of RAM and can quickly update it to the (according to apple) cap of 16GB without needing 4 new modules. That's just my advice though.

Hope that all made sense and enjoy the new RAM.

3. mattfrancis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Aceshigh87,

Thanks for your suggestions. that's exactly what i needed to hear.
    and sorry about the link i posted for the iMac's memory I had thought
    I'd posted a X2 quantity rather than a X1.

Cheers,

Matt